Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPEG blurry on playback even after making freeze frame and rendering

Hi, I ma having a problem with some JPEG stills that I need to include in my edit. The original files are good quality and the correct size and when imported toFCP they look fine while 'parked' on the timeline. As soon as I start to play they become very blurred. I had done lots of searching online and tried the fix to make a freeze frame of the first frame and use that to overcome the blur. I have done this and rendered the effect and while the blur is not as bar there is still quite a drop in quality. I am running the latest version of FCP X. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on May 3, 2016 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:06 AM

CChange Viewer playback to better quality and render.

5 replies

May 3, 2016 3:12 PM in response to batcat46

I have found that any type of still image is blurry in FCPX while you are using the editor In playback. If you pause/stop playback on the photo, it's perfectly sharp right?. When I export my final cut (see what I did there) it's always clear.

I also resize and crop my image to be the same pixel size as the video before importing. Don't know if that helps or not but it seems to work for me rather than let FCPX resize it for you

May 4, 2016 12:03 AM in response to Ken Hart

Yes it was one of the things I tried, resizing in Photoshop to screen size, but this isn't ideal if you need to do Ken Burns effect. But changing the playback setting has fixed the problem from a viewing point of view and I will be exporting a test this morning. Still learning FCP X (have being using Avid for more years than I care to recall) and have found this forum extremely helpful when running into problems. Thanks again for all the replies.

JPEG blurry on playback even after making freeze frame and rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.