Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook + iCloud storage together

I've been an apple fan for years now. Had countless iPhones and a few iPads and iPods. But always used a PC. Well, im tired of using a PC. And considering i have a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus, i use my phone for the majority of things I do. Here within the next few months id like to get my first Mac. Ive used friends Mac's and people from the family and ive always wanted one! But im not sure which one to get. I'd like to stay at a 13 inch Macbook Pro or a new Macbook. Something portable. Id like to steer clear of the Macbook Air. Just never really liked them and from what ive heard they dont have the fastest processors. But if you can convince me otherwise im open to new things! I pay the $3.99 a month for 200 GB of iCloud storage and love it. Its where i store most of my photos from my phone. Can i sync all the stuff from a mac onto iCloud? And keep just what i need on the hard drive. I do lots of photography and some video. So i need something that can handle big files at a decent speed. And i want something that doesnt take forever to turn on. I currently have 9.6 GB worth of movies on my phone and want to be able to have more of them on a computer. We travel alot so i like to be able to watch them while in transit and such. Also take lots of photos during those trips. Being a photographer i need decent power to be able to edit them. Would love to have the retina display too. All while not spending a fortune. Im okay spending 9.99 a month for 1TB of iCloud too. ANy help of what kind of Mac would be best for me would be great. Im also okay buying a refurbished Mac from Apple too.

Thanks,

Tyler

Posted on May 3, 2016 7:15 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 1:44 PM in response to apple-man

Can i sync all the stuff from a mac onto iCloud? And keep just what i need on the hard drive. I

Sync, yes, delete, no. iCloud is a syncing system, not an external storage system. If you delete them from the device/Computer they will be deleted from iCloud. For the computer, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud. That will reduce the space required by about 90% when fully effective.

I'm not an expert on laptops since I haven't had one for years, but the MacBook Pro was what I always bought. I' suggest the fastest processor, a minimum of 8GB of RAM, and a large hard drive to make sure you aren't having to lug an external drive when you travel.

The refurbished computers come with the same warranty as a new computer and Applecare is available for them.

May 4, 2016 8:38 AM in response to apple-man

The iCloud drive is not off Mac storage. Any file in the online iCloud Drive is shadowed on the Mac in the hidden iCloud Drive folder:

User uploaded file

If you delete or move a file from the iCloud Drive on your Mac it gets removed from the online iCloud Drive. The following is from this Apple document: iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

Here's what you can do with iCloud Drive:

• Store and access all of your documents in one place from any of your devices
  • Keep files and folders up to date across all your devices
  • Create new files and folders from iCloud-enabled apps
  • Work on the same file across multiple apps
  • Access your files on the go from the iCloud Drive app with iOS 9

All items refer to syncing, not separate off Mac storage.

User uploaded file

Macbook + iCloud storage together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.