Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network connection is not available when using photos on apple tv

While using Apple TV and photos I get a message that says no network connection available. I check other programs and they do have a network connection available and all is fine. This happens intermittently but once it happens you have to restart the apple tv several times and hope that fixes the issue. I am using icloud photo library and I am trying to access my photos. Is this a known problem?

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 3, 2016 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:24 AM

This might be one of those cases where the message is just a generic "connection failure" message. So it doesn't mean what it says, just that it couldn't connect to the iCloud server.

Is DNS set to automatic in your ATV network settings?

Are you sure there's no WiFi interference? If there's no interference, one restart should be enough.

When photos fails, can you use another app that uses the internet?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 10:24 AM in response to pjm98

This might be one of those cases where the message is just a generic "connection failure" message. So it doesn't mean what it says, just that it couldn't connect to the iCloud server.

Is DNS set to automatic in your ATV network settings?

Are you sure there's no WiFi interference? If there's no interference, one restart should be enough.

When photos fails, can you use another app that uses the internet?

May 3, 2016 10:32 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thank you for the reply. This occurs on a fairly regular basis. After receiving the error message in photos, I have immediately tested the internet connection in other apps that would need an internet connection and they all work fine - Netflix, Movies - ITunes, Smithsonian Channel, etc. Most of the time the restart does not work from the menu but one time the restart where you hold the menu and the button next to it for 8 seconds did allow photos to work for a while but then it failed again. I'll check the DNS stuff but I have not changed the DNS settings so it should be set to the way it comes out of the box. This same thing happens on a relative's apple tv that lives a few miles away. I figured everyone was experiencing this problem - do you use icloud photo library with photos on your apple tv?

network connection is not available when using photos on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.