Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibitory symbol after fresh install on new SSD

Hi,

A few months ago my original HD failed (MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)).

I decided to replace it myself with a SSD instead.

the thing is, on every boot up, I get the Prohibitory symbol for a few seconds up to hours sometimes, but once boot up is done - everything works perfectly.

tried replacing the SSD drive 3 times now - the same result after every fresh installation from internet recovery.

currently using SanDisk Ultra II 240GB.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:52 AM

8 replies

May 3, 2016 7:02 AM in response to MrSDDGd

The symbol you see means the computer hasn’t found a bootable system drive and sometimes occurs when you haven’t set a default startup disk. Go to System Preferences and select Startup Disk. You should see your SSD in the window. Select it after you unlock the preferences.

The odd thing is that if this is your problem it should resolve itself in a matter of seconds - certainly not hours. This suggests there is something more involved. You say you’ve tried replacing the SSD 3 times. Different drives? Different manufacturers?

May 3, 2016 7:08 AM in response to MrSDDGd

Hi MrSSDGd:

Here are a few thing to try:

Under System Preferences > Startup Disk, ensure it is pointing to your new drive.

Sometimes if it is not, it may eventually find it, but it may take a while.

User uploaded file

1. Set the default startup disk.

2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset SMC:

Shut down the Mac.

Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.

Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.

Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

3. How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support. Afterwards you’ll need to repeat Step 1.

Kim

May 3, 2016 2:24 PM in response to MrSDDGd

As OgelThorpe has indicated, your SATA cable may also be the issue.

MacBook Pro hard drive SATA cable issue. MacBook Pro Hard Drive Cable Failure-Free fix and preventative maintenance

If your SATA cable is faulty, here is a guide on how to replace it.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable Replacement: iFixit.com

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable: SATA Cable

Kim

Prohibitory symbol after fresh install on new SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.