Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files from one event to another in same library

When I try to move the file by dragging the clip from one event to another, I get this message that "the file couldn't be open because no such file exists." I have the latest update of Final Cut Pro X.

I find this interesting since when I imported the raw footage from a SD card to Final Cut Pro, I copied all of the files to the Library. I even played the files and they worked.

I would be very appreciative of any answers I can receive. If worst comes to worst, I can always import the footage again to the correct event, since I still have all of the raw footage on a SD card.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:36 AM

14 replies

May 3, 2016 9:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

First I want to thank you, Tom, for taking the time to help me.

Yes. I am editing a job for a videographer who uses a Canon DSLR. He gave me his SD cards. I import the SD cards right into FCPX copying the files into the library. As you can see in the snapshot, I have two events inside the FAF library.

I don't have any issues period with importing the clips. All of the clips play. They even play in the Finder. I just can't move a file from one event to another inside the same library. I do agree with you. It shouldn't be like that.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2016 1:00 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

All I know is the videographer formats his cards right from the camera.

It is on my 1TB Seagate external drive.

I am convinced this is a technical problem with my FCPX. I imported a video file I made on my computer. I tried moving that file from one event to another and I got the same message. I might just reimport the three or so files to the correct event through the SD card.

It is frustrating though that I can't just move a video from one event to another. Can it be done via Finder in the Library folder?

Moving files from one event to another in same library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.