Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Split My Contact

My imessage has split my contact into two, the email and phone number (both are apple imessage supported), when i send a message on a group, one is sent (blue) and another is received(grey). In group details there two me's. both identical (both have the email and phone) except the one has my email blue(imessage supported) and the other has my phone number written in blue (indicating it is imessage ready) (iPhone and iPad imessage)

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1, iPhone 5c

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:58 AM

9 replies

May 3, 2016 9:03 AM in response to Joshua_Luke

When you go into Settings>Messages>Send & Receive, do you see a checkmark by more than just your phone number? If you do,what is showing when you go to Start Conversation From?

When you say that you send one in Blue, that is what should happen if you send a group message, so long as all of the recipients are iOS users. Then you say that you are receiving a message when you send that is addressed to your email address? Is that correct? How are you creating the group? Are you adding your address to the group, or are you using a group that had been created and others may have adapted?

May 4, 2016 7:59 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I Have my email checked on my ipad and phone number checked on iphone for sending adress / starting the new conversation. And i didnt add my email to the group (both phone and email are ios). I tried deleting the one contact from the group but both get removed and i leave the group. For some reason, there two 'me' contacts, both identical information. Cell # and email adress, but the one sees the email as ios user and the second 'me' sees the phone number as a ios user (Indicated by highlighting in blue) therefore when i send a message using my email adress ( as that is what i chose to start a conversation with) a copy gets sent back to me using my iphone number. My phone even makes the noise and vibrates saying, i sent myself a message.

My send and receive is phone and email

start conversation is email on ipad and phone number on iphone

PS. i know that if u have imessage synced from ipad to iphone the same message will appear, i am complaining as it is sending a copy to me.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 11:36 AM in response to Joshua_Luke

Okay, I see your response. Let me take a look at my iPad and iPhone and see if I can figure this out. I do not see this behavior. Are you the one creating the group message? You just send to others, and in the process of doing that, you not only get the send, but you receive a copy of it as well?

I'll check my settings and have some things for you to check in a little while.

May 4, 2016 11:51 AM in response to Joshua_Luke

Okay, If you check settings for messages in both devices, see if this is what you see.

For the iPhone, Text Message Forwarding, 1 device, and that is where the iPad should be listed. Then, if you go to Send & Receive, you should only see your phone number checked off.

Then if you go to the iPad and go to Settings>Messages>and take a look there. You should see your Apple ID, which should be the same as your iPhone is logged into, then you should have both the phone number of the iPhone and the Apple ID checked off. Then under there, Start New Conversations From; and that should have the phone number listed.

Are those settings the same on your devices?

iMessage Split My Contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.