Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Studio and El Captain

Hello,

Anyone has experience with FCS and El Captain?

I would like to install El Captain, but am not sure if Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro 7, Motion...) will work.

Yosemite for example, doesn't support Motion.

Thank you.

Vanja

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:31 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2016 9:21 AM in response to vanja.

Motion...Compressor...Qmaster...Cinema Tools. The ones that ship with Final Cut Studio...they all stopped working on Yosemite. They still don't work under El Capitan. Final Cut Studio was discontinued 5 years ago...every OS update after that doesn't take it's functionality into consideration. If it breaks, they don't care. Apple has a new version of FCP and Motion and Compressor that it supports.

Now...FCP 7 will still work, but not as fully capable as it does under supported OS versions. What doesn't work? it's not consistent. People report sync issues, others can't export QT. Some report title tool (Boris 3D) issues.

If you need Final Cut STudio to work....then you need to keep an older OS (and typically older computer, as newer computers can't run older OS versions) in order to do so.

May 15, 2016 5:55 PM in response to vanja.

A friend of mine just told me that he is still using FCP 7 and he has FCP X on the same machine! I was like how did you do that and he said he upgraded to the most recent OSX which is El Capitan. He said he uses FCP 7 and doesn't have any issues but did say some of his other software won't work. I want to keep FCP 7 to fall back on but have a way where I can learn FCP X without having to buy another computer or laptop. His way sounds promising but the risk of running into issues while using FCP7 is probably going to be pretty high.

Final Cut Studio and El Captain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.