Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil not recognized

iPad Pro 9.7 inch and Apple Pencil.

Apple Pencil paired and working fine. After a variable period of time, iPad no longer recognizes the Pencil. Pencil is fully charged, but even when plugging it into the Lightning port the iPad fails to recognize it (although it remains listed under Bluetooth devices as not connected). Restarting the iPad causes the Pencil to be paired with the iPad.

I've been to the Apple store where the problem was duplicated and it was suggested that we reset the iPad to baseline. After a long restore (at home), it worked for a short while, but now the problem has recurred.

I've checked and the tip is tightly screwed on. I've charged the Pencil via a direct USB connection and battery is listed as 100% after I've restarted the iPad.

Any suggestions?

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:14 AM

15 replies

Apr 24, 2017 12:03 PM in response to wdp03

I found that this issue occurs when the Pencile is away (farther than blue tooth range) from iPad for a good amount of time (e.g., over the weekend). So far the fix is to go through various steps to re-connect them as people have described. Also a loose tip can cause the Pencile to not function properly.

Generally, when you turn on the iPad, if you cannot see the Pencil's battery levels, they are disconnected. This time, I needed to "forget" the Pencile as a device in Setting and then repair them.

I think this is a bug so we just need to learn to deal with it until Apple addresses it.

Apple pencil not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.