Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No care with applecare

So here I am in Barbados, able to spend 6 months here at one go and then back to the UK. But for the first time in about 6 iterations of the iPhone, I have today just dropped it and the screen needs replacing. The AppleCare cost in the UK is £79, but according to Apple support-chat, my only option in Barbados is the Authorised Repair Centre -iShop where my quote was BD$675, or about £230

My concern is that the AppleCare is not recognised and effectively worthless in certain parts of the globe. Perhaps Apple should have a "duty of care" with their customers to ensure that they are not being ripped-off. This should be one of the requirements of being an Authorised Reseller.

Add to all that the fact that one of my lightening ports on my new MacBook Pro is not working.......it's not turning out to be a great day!! It appears that warranty or no warranty, step outside of the US or Europe, and you're on you're own!!

Come on Apple......... Plough some of that profit into repair cost stability.

I Hope my crackphone will keep going until Sept, when I return to the UK.

SO the question is..Apple.... What can you do to help???? A mail-in option from the Caribbean seems totally viable to me.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:40 AM

5 replies

May 3, 2016 11:06 AM in response to Brongo

Your warranty does NOT cover accidental damage or abuse or misuse. The independent repair center is free to charge whatever they feel appropriate for an out of warranty repair. This has nothing at all to do with Apple.

The repair price you quoted is for an accidental damage claim covered under the extended warranty AppleCare+ which is separate purchase and not included by default with an iPhone. And even if you have AppleCare+ the iPhone warranty clearly states that service may be restricted to the original country of purchase - iPhone's have never had an international warranty and AppleCare+ does not alter that.

May 4, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Brongo

Warranties even differ from state to state in the US, for quite a long period AppleCare in any form was not available in Florida. Trying to make in international would be even more difficult. I would suggest you call Apple back, tell them what the AASP wants to charge and get them to email you something that would show they will refund you the difference when you return to the UK. As to your Mac, it doesn't have any Lightning ports so they could not be failing. If you are referring to Thunderbolt ports they can be daisy chained so you can work around that but first get a toothpick and a flashlight and clean the port that is giving you the issue. Restart your computer after you clean it.

No care with applecare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.