Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini Storage Issue

On my iPad Mini, (first generation) under Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage

it indicates I have Used 11.7 GB and Available 723 MB. If I check the Manage Storage option,the

total of storage used by apps is less than 1 GB total.

When I sync my iPad Mini with my Macbook (backup) the sync page indicates the iPad has

Used 738 MB and 11.3 GB Available. (i.e. more in line with the storage / app list).

So why the difference between the displayed Used amount on the iPad and the actual amount of storage used?

Doing a full backup and shut down, the 'error' remains. Anyone have any ideas about how to resolve this?

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:08 AM

The different ways of looking at storage do not always agree with each other

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

One option is to

Backup to iTunes

Then restore from backup - a lot of the "other" gets cleaned out

What is "other" and what can I do about it -ASC

4 replies

May 4, 2016 8:15 AM in response to ManSinha

That is a helpful suggestion.

I can say that the "other" is a negligible amount according to the usage graph on the iTunes sync page.
The available amount on the iTunes sync page seems accurate by my calculations, but as I said, the iPad itself

displays the wrong amount. I had not thought about restoring from the back up to see if that clears the problem.

Thank you for the advice.

May 4, 2016 8:42 AM in response to studio139

studio139 wrote:

On my iPad Mini, (first generation) under Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage

it indicates I have Used 11.7 GB and Available 723 MB. If I check the Manage Storage option,the

total of storage used by apps is less than 1 GB total.

The amount shown under the Manage Storage option reports the usage of the Apps themselves and it does not include the system or two categories, Documents & Data and Other. Those categories are where iOS places cached and other material that in its opinion does not fit into the apps.

You mentioned that Available shows up as 723 MBs. One way to test which one is correct is to try to sync 1 GB worth of pictures using iTunes. If it does not let you, you would know that the 723 MB is about right. If it lets you then it is not. My own guess FWIW is that it is correct.

iPad Mini Storage Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.