Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not recognize my iPhone 5s on my HP Pavilion running Windows 10, so cannot sync the phone, which has the latest OS

iTunes will not recognize my iPhone 5s on my HP Pavilion running Windows 10, so cannot sync the phone. I've downloaded latest OS for the phone and the latest version of iTunes on my PC, and have tried all the USB ports multiple times. I've also reinstalled USB drivers on the PC. The phone is recognized on a friend's computer running Win 7. All that shows when I plug it into mine is a page showing the "Apple iPhone" file showing Internal Storage (2.18 GB free of 14.7 GB). Troubleshooting in Devices and Printers, where the phone shows as "Unspecified Apple iPhone" results in a message saying that "Apple iPhone is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0 and plug it into a USB 2.0 port." But when I do use the USB 2.0 (I've tried many times using each of the three USB ports on my PC), the troubleshooting message says "Apple iPhone won't work properly with USB 3.0." This seems to be a recent problem, since in March 2016 I was able to move some songs from my PC to my phone using iTunes.

I would appreciate some ideas from folks who have encountered this problem, which I find to be a most frustrating one.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1, Latest version of iTunes

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:05 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2016 11:50 PM in response to jcglezen

well you're not the only one. This just freakin happened to me. I've spent the last three hours with apple and Windows support. Right now I am reinstalling Windows 10 per the last resort advice of Windows support. I got the same USB message. In iTunes under devices something removed my 5s and iPad. But my wife's 6s remains. I've tried my computers 2-(SS) 3.0 ports and the 1 regular 2.0 port. I've tried all four lightening cables I have. I will let you know the result of the Windows reinstall.

May 4, 2016 3:07 AM in response to jcglezen

No specific thoughts on the USB2/3 issue, but you might want to try making sure that Windows is using the correct driver.

If your iOS device isn't showing in iTunes try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage. If you don't hear a noise suspect a damaged cable.

Or try If iTunes doesn‘t recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.3.3.17 to 12.3.2.35, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the database in the way described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

tt2

iTunes will not recognize my iPhone 5s on my HP Pavilion running Windows 10, so cannot sync the phone, which has the latest OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.