Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto sorting in Numbers?

Is it possible to have Numbers automatically sort rows upon entry of a value?

Like if I have a checklist, and I want the rows to automatically sort so that I always have unchecked items on top of the list and the checked items in the bottom.

Also I would like the rows to sort in the following order. A=checkbox True/False sorted unchecked at the top, B=date if unchecked oldest date at the top.

Hope the question makes sense..

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:06 PM

Here is an approach this is not fully automatic, but makes the sort quick and convenient.

User uploaded file

I started with the 'Checklist' template at File > New.

Then I added a 'Sort' column on the right and made sure its Data Format is Automatic. Then I entered this formula in D2, and filled it down the column:

=IF(B2="","Z",IF(A≠TRUE,"A","B")&"|"&B2)

Thereafter, after making changes in the list, I can quickly sort on column D via the drop-down menu by the column letter.

User uploaded file

And if you don't like seeing the extra column you can hide it and instead sort using the panel at the right:

User uploaded file

SG

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Gunnar Bløndal

Here is an approach this is not fully automatic, but makes the sort quick and convenient.

User uploaded file

I started with the 'Checklist' template at File > New.

Then I added a 'Sort' column on the right and made sure its Data Format is Automatic. Then I entered this formula in D2, and filled it down the column:

=IF(B2="","Z",IF(A≠TRUE,"A","B")&"|"&B2)

Thereafter, after making changes in the list, I can quickly sort on column D via the drop-down menu by the column letter.

User uploaded file

And if you don't like seeing the extra column you can hide it and instead sort using the panel at the right:

User uploaded file

SG

Auto sorting in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.