Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why must I Sign in to iTunes Store so frequently?

My iPhone running iOS 9.3.1 and before that 9.3 frequently and apparently randomly requests that I "Sign in to iTunes Store".

This alert window appears within various apps and occasionally I get a notification on the lock screen.

How am I to know that all of these alerts are legitimate? That is, what if one of the apps just pops up this request every so often in order to grab my AppleID credentials?

Even if they are all legitimate, why? This appears when I am not buying more apps or music, I'm just using the apps I've already purchased, or the phone is just sitting there doing nothing -- why must it re-authenticate with iTunes Store?

This seems like a horrible model to train people to type an important password in response to spurious random requests.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:02 PM

It could be downloading updates. Check your iTunes/App Store settings and see if you have it remember for free items/updates.

Cheers,

Adam

5 replies

May 3, 2016 11:58 AM in response to applefreak111

Thanks applefreak111, that is a good thought. However, I have all of the Automatic Download switches turned off (and they've all been off since installing iOS 9.0).

I prefer to update apps manually, do not subscribe to Apple Music, and purchase very few books from iTunes.

I do have a few in-app purchases. I use Evernote and purchase the "Plus" annual subscription via the iTunes Store... maybe these password requests correspond to Evernote's background sync activities?

Why must I Sign in to iTunes Store so frequently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.