Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems deleting books and pdf's from within Ibooks

Since the last update I am unable to delete anything from within Ibooks. All my books vanish when I delete something, they then repopulate in a crazy order. I have lots of books and pdf's on my Ipad. I'm wondering if I actually may have too many?? This has never been an issue before, is anyone else experiencing something similar. Thank you.

Jake

iPad Mini 3 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:27 AM

10 replies

May 5, 2016 4:58 PM in response to naugramir

iBooks is the main app I use on my iPad Air 2. After updating to 9.3.1 I am experiencing the following:

* iBooks crashes continuously - only a shutdown and power up fixes this problem

* Books are now out of the order I put them in - in all folders

* PDF randomly refuse to open - I get a message telling me that it can't find the book using its numerical id number

* iBooks is extremely slow when books either epub or pdf do open

* Navigation to folders is sluggish

* PDFs that I deleted are still appearing, but won't open

* Sometimes I cannot delete books

I am very disappointed that that Apple did not test this functionality thoroughly before releasing this version.

I expect that a fix will be provided but I am guessing that I will need to go reorganize all my books again in the order I want them to reappear. I have done this before in an earlier buggy release and it is a PAIN.

Lesson learned is do not update when a new release is announced, especially before a trip, - wait for the first adopters to report on the bugs. For all intents and purposes my iPad is now a brick. Very sad.

May 5, 2016 6:04 PM in response to Rubbereye

I'm having all the same issues you mentioned. It's really so frustrating, Ibooks is pretty much my pride and joy of my Ipad. My collection is quite extensive, I spend a lot of time organizing my books only to have them vanish and then reappear in a different order. I can't delete anything without this happening. The fact that Apple hasn't addressed this issue as of yet is very alarming. I was starting to think maybe my library was too large?? If that is the case they should warn people not to exceed a certain amount of books. Apple needs to address this ASAP, it's terrible that I never even see this problem mentioned by them.

May 8, 2016 5:25 AM in response to Brent72

I called Apple support the other night and the problem was escalated to a manager after a couple of minutes, as I confirmed that I tried all the things in the support script: kill-restart iBooks, hard reset iPad etc. Theory at this time is that I may be using too much space on iPad (113 GB). Weird thing is that iPad reports 108MB free space, iTunes reports 382MB free. I did not have any of these issues prior to 9.3.1 update.

Support is showing good effort to help me, so I suspect that this is a known issue and hopefully the problem is being worked on. I expect another call back tomorrow night to continue with diagnosing the problem.

Unfortunately, I have little hope of restoring how books were ordered and what books were actually deleted, unless I wipe all books from the device and re-add and order them manually again. The behavior I mentioned earlier indicates to me that there is some kind of corruption in how iBooks maintains the books on the device.

If I cannot get this resolved either through support help, or through an iOS fix (I'm willing to wait) I will probably give up on iBooks and move to another book reader. Its a shame because this is the main use of my iPad and I have been upgrading devices since the original.

May 8, 2016 5:29 AM in response to Rubbereye

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm having the same exact issue and I was starting to thing I might have too many books. I have the 128gig Ipad Mini 3rd gen I believe. The bulk of my space is used by books, and pdf's which are my main magazine format. I only have about 10 gig free though, that's why I ws thinking it's a quantity issue. I have tried a few other reader's and I have to say, I really like Ibooks the best. The layout, the feel.. I also didn't experience this problem before the update?? So something they've done has caused this issue. Please keep me in the loop, your my best hope at figuring this out. I thank you again.

May 11, 2016 4:40 PM in response to Zombiefan70

Unfortunately support did not call me back on Monday night, as scheduled.

At this point I am pretty disgusted with the situation - my iPad is unusable. It is not an isolated occurrence, as a bunch of us are experiencing a variety of iBooks issues.

Again, Apple should know better to test this app WELL with any OS update as it is key functionality for their devices.

I will wait until an update is made available, in the meantime I will use an older device to read my current documents. If the update doesn't work I will probably switch to Marvin. I hear a lot of good things about this app or switch tablet brand (I'd hate to do this). 😟

Problems deleting books and pdf's from within Ibooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.