Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help me decide bt SSD & Fusion

Hi,

About to buy this iMac 27":

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz

8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB

512GB Flash Storage OR 2 TB Fusion Drive

AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

I'm going to add 16GB of RAM after purchase.

I'll be using the iMac mostly for video editing (iMovie now & eventually FCP).

PRO's of 512 GB Flash Storage:

Speed

No moving parts (breakage concerns down the road)

Quiet

CON's:

$200 more than 2 TB fusion

2 TB (with 128GB of flash) seems like it may be plenty & I like the idea of "2 TB of total storage" without having to plug in externals, etc.

My concerns:

Will stuff like my (80 GB) iTunes music, (some of which I play frequently & most of which I play seldom) ALL be stored on the flash portion of the fusion, eating up tons of space or does the fusion distinguish which portions of iTunes music folder I use frequently & store only those on the flash part of the fusion?

Is the 7200 RPM part of the 2TB fusion really antiquated & if it fails, will it render my machine useless, when all I had to do was drop an extra $200 as "insurance" against this concern?

Are spinning disks basically a thing of the past & do they often fail?

Etc.

Any thoughts/questions appreciated.

Thnx

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:09 PM

If you can afford the SSD, I would get the SSD and then add an external drive if you needed expansion. The larger Fusion drives have 128GB of SSD attached, and the operating system is pretty smart about migrating frequently used blocks of data onto the SSD, but as you point out, spinning disks are much more prone to failure. Replacing an internal disk in a new iMac is a huge pain to do yourself, and probably $$$ to get done by a professional. By constrast, a USB 3 disk (or even better, a Thunderbolt disk drive) is somewhat future-proof in that you can expand it as you need to, grow into a RAID system later if you want, and easily replace it if it fails.

BackBlaze produces an awesome report regularly on disk failure rates. I would speculate that a frequently used computer disk drive will last on average 5 years, but that's a bell curve -- a few will fail in the second year and a few will run 10 years.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 3:09 PM in response to Robert Lawton

If you can afford the SSD, I would get the SSD and then add an external drive if you needed expansion. The larger Fusion drives have 128GB of SSD attached, and the operating system is pretty smart about migrating frequently used blocks of data onto the SSD, but as you point out, spinning disks are much more prone to failure. Replacing an internal disk in a new iMac is a huge pain to do yourself, and probably $$$ to get done by a professional. By constrast, a USB 3 disk (or even better, a Thunderbolt disk drive) is somewhat future-proof in that you can expand it as you need to, grow into a RAID system later if you want, and easily replace it if it fails.

BackBlaze produces an awesome report regularly on disk failure rates. I would speculate that a frequently used computer disk drive will last on average 5 years, but that's a bell curve -- a few will fail in the second year and a few will run 10 years.

May 6, 2016 5:38 PM in response to freedomtrooper

Appreciated.

I think I'm going with the 512GB SSD to "future proof" it as best as I can afford now.

One thing that bugged me about the 1TB Fusion was, I believe it only has 24GB of Flash on it.

The 2TB has 128, I believe.

I think it's really lame Apple gives such a small amt of flash on the 1TB fusion nowadays (I think it used to be 128).

Thnx

Help me decide bt SSD & Fusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.