Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add Custom Alert/Text Tones?

iPhone 6s Plus (Verizon) 128GB

iOS 9.3.1

I've tried this like ringtones but these short alert tones won't sync over from iTunes. These are former BlackBerry alert sounds, imported into iTunes as .mp3 files. I created AAC versions in iTunes, deleted the original .mp3 files, and clicked on each new alert tone to ensure it plays. They all work in iTunes. I changed the file type from.m4a to m4r, dragged them all into the "Tones" folder in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Tones. Upon sync these files go back to Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music > Unknown Album > Unknown Artist. And they do NOT get to my iPhone.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, 128GB, Verizon

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:42 AM

5 replies

May 3, 2016 1:48 PM in response to rseijas

rseijas wrote:

iPhone 6s Plus (Verizon) 128GB

iOS 9.3.1

I've tried this like ringtones but these short alert tones won't sync over from iTunes. These are former BlackBerry alert sounds, imported into iTunes as .mp3 files. I created AAC versions in iTunes, deleted the original .mp3 files, and clicked on each new alert tone to ensure it plays. They all work in iTunes. I changed the file type from.m4a to m4r, dragged them all into the "Tones" folder in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Tones. Upon sync these files go back to Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music > Unknown Album > Unknown Artist. And they do NOT get to my iPhone.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Are these tones 30 seconds or less?

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Free-iPhone-Ringtone-Using-a-Song-in-iTunes

Jun 8, 2016 9:32 AM in response to rseijas

OK, I went back and ran the process again. Perhaps I forgot last time, but this time I deleted the alert tones from my playlist in iTunes, then double-clicked the sound files individually from a Finder windows. This put them into my Tones folder and synced them into my iPhone. Success!! I now have .m4r versions of the old BlackBerry alert tones. I'm using "Sanguine" as my default tone.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47525383/Sanguine.m4r

Oct 17, 2016 1:13 AM in response to rseijas

i have successfully added a tone like this to my iphone 7

but it is getting added as a 'ringtone' , not as an 'alert tone'

i wanted an alert tone. while syncing or creating the .m4r file, there is no option to select the type as rin or alert tone.

the duration of the tone is hardly 1 second.

so how do i add it as an alert tone, not as a ring tone.

Add Custom Alert/Text Tones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.