Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way of turning off notifications for specific people or chat groups, without turning off notifications for everybody? (in messages)

Is there a way, in messages, of turning of notifications for specific people or chat groups, without turning off notifications for all incoming messages? I sometimes get loads of messages coming in from my daughter and my phone buzzes away all the time which can be annoying. I don't want to turn off notifications entirely or have it on silent else I'll miss important messages form other people.

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.3

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:01 PM

You can activate Do Not Disturb in an individual message, but that will mute an entire conversation if it is a group. That is not the same as activating Do Not Disturb for the phone, which turns off all notifications. Open the Messages app, select the message in question, in the top right corner go to Details, and then scroll down, you should find the switch for Do Not Disturb.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 12:01 PM in response to lizfrombanbury

You can activate Do Not Disturb in an individual message, but that will mute an entire conversation if it is a group. That is not the same as activating Do Not Disturb for the phone, which turns off all notifications. Open the Messages app, select the message in question, in the top right corner go to Details, and then scroll down, you should find the switch for Do Not Disturb.

Is there a way of turning off notifications for specific people or chat groups, without turning off notifications for everybody? (in messages)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.