Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to turn my iphone 6 OFF and ON inorder to access my voicemail messages?

For some reason I cannot access my voicemail messages. I'll receive a new message, click the play button, but nothing happens.

I then have to turn my phone OFF and back ON, which allows me to access my messages.

Ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:12 PM

35 replies

May 17, 2016 12:22 PM in response to fullzirkel

I have an iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2, however I have seen this problem on earlier OS versions. My carrier is AT&T. This problem in my opinion is a BUG.

I too have not received voicemail notifications and have not received voicemails due to this bug. I found that I can reproduce this bug easily, which is good if anyone cares to actually FIX this BUG.

To restore voicemail, I turn OFF WiFi on my phone, then power cycle the phone ( much like a win doze machine ) and when the phone comes back on line,

the voicemail notification and the messages appear on my phone. From time to time, the voicemail messages will have NO CONTENT -- I have not yet explored the bugs and behavior related to that.

My phone then works correctly, voicemail notifications and voicemail are received. Once I turn WiFi back on however, the BUG reappears and can be

corrected by turning WiFi off, then power cycling the phone.

I urge you to try the same, and if this WORKS for you PLEASE make not of it here, and bang on Apple's door to fix this BUG. Thanks and good luck!

May 17, 2016 12:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

First of all, I take exception to the BUG existing in my phone only. There is nothing unique about my phone.

I DO NOT have WiFi calling enabled, I don't do that ever. I use WiFi at home because I don't need to run that data through the Cellular account.

At home my AT&T signal is no good, so I have an AT&T microcell site here at home. My tests have been done in this environment so far. I will conduct

some test away from the home Wifi to see if the problem continues.

I am glad that you have had good luck with your phone and carrier, but not everyone is so lucky.

And as far as bugs go, I suspect you know something about growing OS systems (bloatware), and the complex interactions of all these different components. I know that I certainly have an appreciation for that. I was once told by a vendor that we had to operate their device in a certain way to make things work. The vendor had imposed this nonsense on everyone using their device. I told my boss it was unacceptable, and that the vendor had a bug. We got the source code, and I chased that bug down. The symptom was a DEADLOCKED Unix system -- the power button would not turn it off. You actually had to unplug it. The problem turned out to be exactly ONE wrong bit. I fixed it, no more deadlock, everyone happy.

My opinion is that IOS and apple software is approaching bloatware.

May 17, 2016 1:16 PM in response to deggie

Thanks for your reply. The one bit problem has nothing to do with iPhone, you understand.

Look at the forums here. You will see that I am not the only one with this problem. Others have reported it

over a year ago, and several iOS versions were reported.

Of course, without source I can only speculate. But I have a procedure to demonstrate the problem

and I have a procedure to correct the problem. I have correlated that with WiFi in my case. Does that

mean WiFi is the problem? NO.

As software grows it becomes harder and harder to maintain. Interactions among the software components

gets to be complex. In my opinion, iOS has now reached that point. Apple only has so many resources; going after

the large problems first makes good sense. But sometimes the smaller problems never get fixed.....

Thanks again for your reply.

May 17, 2016 1:20 PM in response to dr_grid

There are always reports of issues with electronic devices. Spending too much time around here I can assure you yours is one of the lesser reported ones. The fact that you can replicate in on your device only shows there is an issue with your device which still has many variables. The fact that I cannot replicate it, Lawrence cannot replicate it and I know several others on AT&T who do not have it would show that it is not a bug at all otherwise you could replicate it on every device.

Why do I have to turn my iphone 6 OFF and ON inorder to access my voicemail messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.