Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app search not showing expected results

I have a brand new iPad Air 2 and I am running latest iOS. When searching common apps in the App Store like Southwest Airlines or Alaska airlines or Castlight health or Costco, the search results do not contain these common apps. The only way I have been able to find them is search google in safari and go to app results which will then take me to the correct app in the App Store. needless to say this is frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else having this experience?

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:29 PM

HI i Can Help you

9 replies

May 3, 2016 5:20 PM in response to iamcowboy

Try resetting the App Store:

Close the App Store completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the App Store preview pane until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the App Store pane by scrawling to the left.

Then sign out of the iTunes Store (in Settings).

Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

Then sign back into the iTunes Store.

May 3, 2016 5:26 PM in response to iamcowboy

BTW, it could be "that bad". I just checked on my iPad Air and while I can find Costco, neither Southwest Airlines nor Alaska Air shows up. This means that they have not developed apps approved by Apple. I use the United Airlines app all the time and many others are there, but apparently not those two.

May 3, 2016 8:17 PM in response to iamcowboy

I tried all those steps and still not working. The strange thing is that if I search for it via Google.com in safari and I click on the app it takes me directly to the App Store to download it. I can only assume this means that it is an approved app but the App Store search algorithm does not work properly. It's not like I'm searching for obscure apps. Is it possible these apps have fallen out of support with latest iOS update? Any idea how I submit this to Apple support? I am surprised I can't find other people experiencing similar issues.

May 3, 2016 9:51 PM in response to iamcowboy

I am in the U.S., so what I'm about to say may only apply to the U.S. Apple Store.

I just searched for "Southwest Airlines" in the App Store.

Here's what I found:

User uploaded file

So the Southwest Airlines app shows as an iPhone app, but not an iPad app.

Within the body of the Southwest Airlines app writeup, it describes that the app is "compatible with iPad." But it's clearly designed for an iPhone. Get it from there if you can.

app search not showing expected results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.