Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connectivity in the garden

This is an awkward problem. Wifi in the house works excellent. Extreme downstairs, Express on first floor and time Machine on the second floor of the house. All wired by UTP CAT6 and functioning perfectly.

Now the garden, in the back of the garden I cannot see the Extreme, this makes sense because the Wifi signal is blocked by a wall of the house build in the same direction as the signal should travel.

But the other devices do not contact either. Especially the signal from the Time Machine of the second floor only has air, wood and panes to travel through. The Extreme is 7 meters above the garden ground level and the distance is about 20 meters ... according to Pythagoras about 21 meters.

Does the shape of the wifi-beam does not go downwards ... or better said, is there a diagram showing the shape from the beam in an ideal situation?

Thank you for thinking with me.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), All latest OS versions and drivers

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 12:46 AM

All wireless routers have an RF distribution pattern which is greatest in the plane.. lower above and almost non-existent below.. cardioid is usual description although I have never seen a pattern from apple router.. the new beam forming tends to mess up those things no end.

the signal from the Time Machine of the second floor only has air, wood and panes to travel through.

Wood is ok when very dry.. but high moisture content will absorb signal. Paints or coatings can contain metal.. and any metal can be very bad.. same with glass btw.. a tinted glass always has metal in it.. and that blocks the wireless very effectively.

The apple routers are no wireless power houses either.. simple fact is at 20M you might well be running out of signal when there is interference by stronger wireless around you.

It is relatively cheap and easy to setup at least one repeater to cover your garden area.. ideally connected and powered over ethernet but anyway that needs to be done will work. I found using a standard wireless repeater works ok to get signal to hard to reach place in my house.. it is not the ideal solution but until I have a chance to run ethernet to it.. does the job.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 12:46 AM in response to MurgenTemplar

All wireless routers have an RF distribution pattern which is greatest in the plane.. lower above and almost non-existent below.. cardioid is usual description although I have never seen a pattern from apple router.. the new beam forming tends to mess up those things no end.

the signal from the Time Machine of the second floor only has air, wood and panes to travel through.

Wood is ok when very dry.. but high moisture content will absorb signal. Paints or coatings can contain metal.. and any metal can be very bad.. same with glass btw.. a tinted glass always has metal in it.. and that blocks the wireless very effectively.

The apple routers are no wireless power houses either.. simple fact is at 20M you might well be running out of signal when there is interference by stronger wireless around you.

It is relatively cheap and easy to setup at least one repeater to cover your garden area.. ideally connected and powered over ethernet but anyway that needs to be done will work. I found using a standard wireless repeater works ok to get signal to hard to reach place in my house.. it is not the ideal solution but until I have a chance to run ethernet to it.. does the job.

connectivity in the garden

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.