Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photos storage

I Have 50Gb iCloud storage option, and using the photo app in iOS on both iPad and iPhone.

I wasunder the impression that all photos were stored in iCloud and only thumbnails were shown on my iOS devices. In this arrangement storage on iOS devices was minimised but if for example a photo was needed then clicking on it photos would instantly download the photo for editing, display, or printing etc. However I can see that 1.1 Gb of storage is used on my iPhone and 2.4 Gb used on my iPad. The iCloud storage allocated to photos is 3.7 Gb.

Why the different storage size when all should be the same and have I got some duplication which can be released?

I Am thoroughly confused but do not want to delete anything from phone/pad as it may be permanently deleted - advice please!

iOS on both devices is 9.3

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:13 PM

With iCloud Photo Library the full size originals are stored on iCloud. They may also be stored on devices, depending on which option you have chosen in Settings > iCloud > Photos. If you have chosen "Optimize iPhone Storage" the wording below that setting states:

"If your iPhone is low on space, full-resolution photos and videos are automatically replaced with optimized versions. Full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud."

The "optimization" is automatic -- if the device is low on space -- and there isn't a way for you control when it happens.

If you delete a photo from either the iPhone or iPad, regardless of whether it is a full size or optimized version, it will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 1:13 PM in response to roadrunner888

With iCloud Photo Library the full size originals are stored on iCloud. They may also be stored on devices, depending on which option you have chosen in Settings > iCloud > Photos. If you have chosen "Optimize iPhone Storage" the wording below that setting states:

"If your iPhone is low on space, full-resolution photos and videos are automatically replaced with optimized versions. Full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud."

The "optimization" is automatic -- if the device is low on space -- and there isn't a way for you control when it happens.

If you delete a photo from either the iPhone or iPad, regardless of whether it is a full size or optimized version, it will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud photos storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.