Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much SSD storage in Fusion Drive iMacs?

Hi all,

I'm considering buying an iMac to supplant my old MacBook Pro, and I was planning on getting the Fusion Drive. However, I discovered that in October 2015, Apple downgraded the SSD in the 1TB Fusion Drive for iMac from 128 GB to just 24GB.

So my question is twofold:

(1) Does the 1TB Fusion Drive iMac still only have 24 GB storage in the SSD?

(2) How large is the SSD in the 2TB Fusion Drive iMac?

I tried Googling for any new info, but everything I'm finding is from October 2015, and Apple simply says that people buying the 1TB or 2TB iMac Fusion Drive can upgrade their SSD up to 256 GB, without saying what's included by default.

Thank you much!

Rachel

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:38 PM

See the quote below. (It is from the "How much storage is right for you?" link in the Storage section of the following page: http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK142LL/A&step=config

The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 24GB of fast flash — enough to store important OS X files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps. The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives pair a larger hard drive with 128GB of fast flash storage, providing even more space for your most frequently used files. For the best performance, iMac systems with 32GB of memory should be configured with a 2TB or larger Fusion Drive or all flash storage.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 1:38 PM in response to justplainfunky

See the quote below. (It is from the "How much storage is right for you?" link in the Storage section of the following page: http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK142LL/A&step=config

The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 24GB of fast flash — enough to store important OS X files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps. The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives pair a larger hard drive with 128GB of fast flash storage, providing even more space for your most frequently used files. For the best performance, iMac systems with 32GB of memory should be configured with a 2TB or larger Fusion Drive or all flash storage.

How much SSD storage in Fusion Drive iMacs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.