Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not using Music sub folder

I am using iTunes 12.3 with the "keep music folder organized" option checked. My iTunes media folder is on a network-attached disk.

As of today, when importing new music, iTunes is placing the artist folders inside iTunes Media, while previously they were all put under iTunes Media/Music.

The "Advanced" tab under preferences shows that iTunes knows where my media folder is (/Volumes/NAS/iTunes Media/) as it should do. Any ideas why this might be happening or how to resolve?

I have tried asking iTunes to consolidate those files, but it doesn't move anything: iTunes seems to be very happy with its choice of location.

---

For complete clarity: I have some albums by Andy Stott. When I imported them, they went into

/Volumes/NAS/iTunes Media/Music/Andy Stott/(album title)/...

When I added a new album today, it went into a new folder one level higher:

/Volumes/NAS/iTunes Media/Andy Stott/(album title)/...

Any ideas much appreciated!

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:05 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Guy Mccusker

The answer is you are using a NAS. Most NAS issues here cannot be explained. It's like the game of telephone kids play where iTunes talks to the system and the system talks to the NAS software and the NAS talks to the drive and even though the message is faithfully passes along it gets garbled. iTunes does not play nicely with NAS except possibly Apple's own NAS Time Capsule. NAS are popular with iTunes and sometimes work -- and sometimes do not.

May 4, 2016 9:00 AM in response to Limnos

Hmmm thanks. Can you or anyone think of solutions or workarounds that might convince iTunes to behave itself?

I tried this: I created a new folder on the NAS and told iTunes to use it as my media folder. After the library updated itself, I said "no" to the option of consolidating all files, because that would take forever. I then right-clicked one song and asked for that track only to be consolidated to the new library, and it went to the right place, Media Folder/Music/Artist/Album. So I figured iTunes was happy enough. I then reset the media folder preference to point to the original place, and tried to re-consolidate that file back home. Sadly, it went to Media Folder/Artist/Album, again skipping the Music sub folder.

This is most odd. My setup has been working smoothly for several years so I am baffled!

iTunes not using Music sub folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.