Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.2 update issues when creating new project

So I updated toe the latest iMovie on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). Now when I try to create it is grayed out in the File menu. When I click the Projects tab and then the New Project icon, it asks me where to create the project but then creates it with the name "My Movie".

I am also now getting the spinning color wheel of slowness very often during editing. I am accessing my media from a USB 2.0 external hard drive the same as I did before the update. In fact, nothing has changed on my end except the update.

I knew I should have followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy and waited but I had a weak moment.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to notify Apple of these issues? Or Do I just need more training?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2016 2:24 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2016 3:23 PM in response to mstplumber

You iMovie is operating correctly as far as creating a new project. You can only do that from the project window either by double clicking the create new icon or selecting it and using the file menu. New projects by default are named My Movie. You can change the name in the project window by clicking on its name. As to slowness USB 2 should be adequate as should your Macbook. How much memory do you have in the Macbook? How much free space on your boot drive and your EHD? Are you running other apps at same time as iMovie?

May 3, 2016 3:47 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

It used to give you the option when creating the new movie to select a theme & title it before going into the actual iMovie editor. Now it does not let me choose either. I can edit & save and change the title. After saving, I go to exit & that's when it makes me title it. I am also having a sync problem with overlays. The timing is off even though it says the video & overlay are the same duration. It is not a "how much memory do you have on your computer" issue as my computer is new & I do not keep any files on it. It is an iMovie issues. Multiple issues, obviously.

May 3, 2016 3:49 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

So the update added 2 or 3 additional steps to the process of creating a new Project? Before the update I could just click he File menu and choose "new Project and then name it whatever I wanted. Now I have to open the Projects tab? Gee, thanks Apple.

And I have about 140 GB free space on both my Macbook and EHD, same as yesterday when everything worked great. No other apps running. I'm sure I sound whiney, I just don't understand why every time they update iMovie it seems to be less convenient. Or maybe I just don't like change ;-)

Thank you very much for your reply.

May 4, 2016 4:28 PM in response to SCARHL

After you create a new project in the projects window you are automatically returned to the editing window. If you click on the new project(My Movie) a popup window will appear to allow to change the name so you don' have to wait until you save it. Not clear on what you mean synch problem. Are you referring to when you place a clip above another clip for green screen pip etc.?

iMovie 10.0.2 update issues when creating new project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.