Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I trust cleanmymac

Can I trust clean my mac?

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:01 AM

I have tested some programs on the Apple store which are free and I can say that they don't do what they say. Features like Automatically run scan when memory use is greater than 35% to defrag the memory, Auto clean at start up but they clearly don't from my experience. I really don't know why these type of programs are on the Apple store when they don't do as promised. Like some outside the Apple Store you have a trial period and no doubt give false readings to the customer to get you to purchase there software, My advice, your in the right place to ask on the Apple support website and ask the community how to successfully go about a problem without installing this type of software. End point - Don't bother with products like cleanmyMac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 1:01 AM in response to Community User

I have tested some programs on the Apple store which are free and I can say that they don't do what they say. Features like Automatically run scan when memory use is greater than 35% to defrag the memory, Auto clean at start up but they clearly don't from my experience. I really don't know why these type of programs are on the Apple store when they don't do as promised. Like some outside the Apple Store you have a trial period and no doubt give false readings to the customer to get you to purchase there software, My advice, your in the right place to ask on the Apple support website and ask the community how to successfully go about a problem without installing this type of software. End point - Don't bother with products like cleanmyMac.

May 3, 2016 6:13 PM in response to Community User

Yes, you can trust it to make a mess of your Mac.

What the others (and I) are really trying to tell you is OS X does not need ANY, repeat ANY cleaning, antivirus or other third party utilities to run well. If left alone and kept up-to-date most users have years and years of trouble free use of OS X.

If you are experiencing a problem, then it's best to state what that is and then someone can step in to help you out.

May 3, 2016 7:43 PM in response to Community User

No. Excerpted from Effective defenses against malware and other threats:

Never install any product that claims to "clean up", "speed up", "optimize", "boost" or "accelerate" your Mac; to "wash" it, "tune" it, or to make it "shiny". Those claims are absurd.

• Such products are very aggressively marketed. They are all scams.
  • They generally operate on the flawed premise that a Mac accumulates "junk" that needs to be routinely "cleaned out" for optimum performance.
  • Trial versions of those programs are successful because they provide the instant gratification of greater free disk space.
  • That increased space is the result of irreversible destruction of files, programs, or operating system components normally protected from inadvertent alteration or deletion. The eventual result will be unreliable operation, poor performance and random crashes that may not become evident for months or even years after their use, when updates to programs or OS X are eventually released.
  • Memory "cleaners" that circumvent OS X's memory management algorithms work by purging inactive memory contents to mass storage, which can only result in degraded performance and accelerated hardware failure.

can I trust cleanmymac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.