Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 gen remote pairing

How can I pair my Apple TV (4th gen) with its remote and use that one only??

I have both my Apple TV and MacBook in the same room and I want to use the two of them with their individual remotes. Now I'm getting mad because the TV reacts with both the remotes so when I want to remote the Mac I need to physically unplug the TV...

That's not good!!!

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 9.2

Posted on May 3, 2016 2:56 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 3:37 PM in response to Spinal Pat

You need to pair each device with it's remote. The key is to have the other device blocked or powered off when you do it.

For the ATV4 do this:

Pair the Siri Remote with Apple TV. Turn on Apple TV and position the Siri Remote so it’s within 3 to 4 inches (8 to 10 cm) and pointing at the front of Apple TV. Then press and hold the menu button and the + button for 2 seconds. When the Siri Remote is successfully paired, an onscreen message appears.

For the Macbook try this:

With the remote within 3-4 inches of the Macbook IR sensor, pair Apple Remote - press and hold the Menu and Right buttons for five seconds.

May 6, 2016 11:08 AM in response to Vinceassociate

Hi Vince, I tried your solution but I still have the same problem. That way you "tell" the Mac to react only with one specific remote but any other machine that isn't paired with a remote still work with any remote.

I think the big issue it's not the Siri Remote but the old white remote.

Maybe I didn't explain well, but my problem now is that even if I pair the Mac with the remote, the Apple TV still reacts whit it... Don't know why...

May 6, 2016 11:58 AM in response to Spinal Pat

The remotes identify themselves when you hit a button with a number called a device ID.

If you did succeed pairing both remotes only to the respective devices, then both remotes are broadcasting the same ID number.

Unplug or cover the ATV and take the white remote and holding it 3-4 inches away from the Macbook sensor, press and hold menu and play for 5 seconds. This should pair the remote to the Macbook AND increase the device ID#.

This should make them different and resolve the issue.

Apple TV 4 gen remote pairing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.