Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get my iPod to charge, it does turn on but red light blinks once

My iPod won't charge. I have had it plugged in for over 3 hours and still get a red blinking light once and then that goes off.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7, Isn't added as a new device or sync

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:58 PM

7 replies

May 12, 2016 5:05 PM in response to ckgastel

I do have it completely plugged in and snapped. and it has been charging over 3 hours now while I'm on the computer... but now the orange light is blinking.

That sounds normal. If the shuffle is set to use the Manually manage music setting (which is the default setting), its light should be blinking orange while connected. Blinking light is a warning that means Do not disconnect - Eject iPod before disconnecting. The Eject button in iTunes is next to the iPod's name, when you select it (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen. It looks like a triangle with a line below. After clicking Eject, the shuffle's like becomes solid (not blinking). Solid light means OK to disconnect. When the light is solid, its color indicates battery status. Green means battery fully charged. Orange means currently charging (but you can disconnect it).

NOTE: If the shuffle is set up to use automatic syncing (not Manually manage music), iTunes only mounts the shuffle's "disk" while actively syncing. The light only blinks while iTunes syncs the shuffle. At other times (when the shuffle is connected with iTunes running), its light is solid, and you can physically disconnect it without ejecting it. Please post back if you want more info about setting up automatic syncing.

May 4, 2016 7:19 PM in response to ckgastel

The battery may be worn out and not able to hold a charge when disconnected from power. How old is your shuffle?

While connected to power, is the shuffle's light ON? If ON, does it blink or is it solid (not blinking)? If solid, what is the color?

Isn't added as a new device or sync

If this is a brand new 4th gen iPod shuffle that you are using for the first time, make sure the USB docking cable plug is fully inserted into the shuffle's headphones jack, as shown in this document

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Not seen in iTunes - Apple Support

May 12, 2016 4:19 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I'm still having trouble. I did finally get a few songs downloaded, but

now the orange light is blinking. This is a 4th generation that I just got

last month so hate to think the battery is worn out as haven't used it over

15 minutes to check to see that songs had downloaded. I do have it

completely plugged in and snapped. and it has been charging over 3 hours

now while I'm on the computer.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Apple Support Communities Updates <

May 19, 2016 1:52 PM in response to Ubairn

Blinking orange light does not indicate battery status. It is a warning that means Do not disconnect - Eject iPod before disconnecting. When blinking, it is always orange. After you eject the shuffle in iTunes, the light becomes solid (not blinking). Solid light means OK to disconnect. And its color indicates battery status. Green means fully charged, Orange means currently charging (but you can safely disconnect).

What is your actual indication that the shuffle is not charging...? If shuffle does not hold a charge after disconnecting, that probably means the battery is worn out or otherwise faulty.

I can't get my iPod to charge, it does turn on but red light blinks once

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.