Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan runs too much when I run a certain application

I've looked at all the other threads about the fan running too much. I have already reset the SMC and that is not doing the job. The fan runs fast only when I use the application Pycharm. Pycharm is a Python working environment. Admittedly, Pycharm is a large application which takes up 400 megs. When I look at the activity monitor it takes up between 100 - 300% of the CPU. I frankly don't know how anything can take up more than 100% of the CPU but it does. I've seen with other threads on this issue that sometimes the problem is solved by throwing away a small file so I hope that works in my case.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:20 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 4:04 PM in response to kyle76

!00% is for one core. Your MBP has more than one.

If you are running a resource intensive application, it will stress the CPU/GPU and thus create heat. The fans will respond accordingly and they will NOT run too much. If they did not operate, that would eventually lead to thermal shutdown. What you are experiencing is how the MBP is designed to operate.

Ciao.

Fan runs too much when I run a certain application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.