Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Garageband 10 is it possible to automate foot control data without a foot controller plugged in?

I recently upgraded to the newest version of Garageband (10.1.1) from ver 6. I use the Symphony Orchestra Jampack all the time and one of the best features was how I could automate the foot control data to change what the instruments would do. I used this most with the strings. By adjusting the foot control data I could have strings change from playing normally to tremolo or pizzicato, for instance, on the fly. There are six different uses for the strings and this saved me so much trouble and clutter. I didn't have to load in an extra set of strings just to play a few measures of tremolo or whatever. Inexplicably, there is no option for this in the newest version of GB. First bring up the editor for a specific instrument and then click on the MIDI Draw button on the left and Foot Control used to be one of the Controller options. It's not there now. If I load a song done in the old version of GB, the Controller option is set to Foot Controller but I can't get back to it if I change it to anything else. On top of all that, my old keyboard (M-Audio Keystation 49e) has a modulation wheel that controls the Foot Control for some reason (it's how I discovered what Foot Control did in the first place). My newer keyboard (Casio CDP-230R) only has a pitch bend wheel. Doesn't help me. But if I hit record while using my Keystation, I can add the Foot Control data in real time as I record by using the modulation wheel. But then there is no way to edit it! It plays back with the changes and the MIDI region on top shows the little gray vertical lines denoting that there is automation data there but I cannot find it for the life of me. Plus I almost never record in live performances, so using my old keyboard is not a good solution for me.

Does anyone know how to do this? Do I now need an actual foot controller for this option to become available? I know Apple has not removed the feature entirely since I can record in the changes and have them play back, but they sure have hidden it well. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to have to reinstall the old version of GB just to use it the way I want to.

GarageBand 10, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 3, 2016 4:01 PM

There are no replies.

In Garageband 10 is it possible to automate foot control data without a foot controller plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.