Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no option to turn on iCloud Music Library

Anybody else out there missing the option to enable iCloud Music Library in settings? It's supposed to be under the 'Show Apple Music' option I believe.

I have an iCloud subscription with 48GB available.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:01 PM

Reaffirming and expanding on Limnos' response above:

This is from iTunes' help:

User uploaded file

If indeed you are an iTunes Match or Apple Music subscriber, then make sure you are signed in to your Apple ID in iTunes.

8 replies

May 2, 2017 12:07 AM in response to PinkChimp

Try logging off and in again several times. No matter if iTunes' account menu is already showing you as "logged in" -> you are not. Logging in via the Store-Tab and then clicking on "account" and entering your password there worked better for me than via the account menu. Once logged in this way you will be able to see the iCloud Music activation checkbox again... but - if your case is like mine - no matter how often you try activating it... the box will uncheck itself automatically as soon as you leave the settings menu... Logging in via Store/account again and again, checking the iCloud Music Checkbox again and again and closing and reopening iTunes will sooner or later get you to the point where you are: logged in and iCloud Music is activated. But if your case is like mine... iTunes account login doesn't work - I've tried it all...

May 5, 2017 2:43 AM in response to RichardMG

Hi Richard

Thank you so much for your answer. Super interesting and inspiring idea to "just" subscribe to the free trial again... and instantly getting the Login/Sync/Activate iCloud issues solved (without having to mess around with your network settings).

My solution is about as strange 🙂 -> Re: iTunes account login doesn't work - I've tried it all...

Mar 12, 2017 9:22 PM in response to PinkChimp

Whatever device it is that you don't have the "iCloud Music Library" option available, could be logged into a different apple ID. I had this problem getting apple music on my Mac, I had signed up on my iPhone and it was working perfectly there. If it does work on one device, check the settings and see what it says is the apple ID linked to the apple music account is. I had been logged in under an old ID on my Mac's iTunes. I signed out and signed back in with my more recent ID from my phone. Apple music turned on automatically, and the "iCloud Music Library" appeared in my preferences menu. Hope this helps.

May 2, 2017 2:34 AM in response to raumbuechse

Thanks for your long reply Raum.. I feel really sorry for your troubles; my what a song and dance. In the end, after 2 hours of wasted time, i gave up last night and did a free 3 month trial to iMusic; then the music on my macbook uploaded within minutes to the icloud drive and populated on itunes on my imac.. quite ridiculous. before the trial is up either there will be a way, i will have downloaded all of the songs onto the imac or i will be back to square one as i am not paying again for something that should already work.

Another thought; I have noticed that OS Sierra, like virtually all updates before it, does not enable all software and all external devices, connected to a computer running it, a trouble free experience; I recently moved from iphone to ASUS and I am very impressed and happy with the latter at half the price. The only problem?.. does not talk to OS Sierra but it does to old versions... so I guess its just a 'wait and see until there are a bunch of updates to the operating system' and perhaps then these things might just work.

The moral is not to update the OS until it has been out at least, say, a year.

no option to turn on iCloud Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.