Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't El Capitan download on my Mac?

I am running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 and tried to download El Capitan Verision 10.11.4, but it will not download. When I click on the "Download" button, it stays on "Downloading" for a few seconds and then it kicks it out and won't download. It seems that that cursed shower (evil software) tries to prevent the download because it would be eliminated. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone would be able to help with downloading El Capitan successfully. This is the first time I have had any difficulty downloading software update.

iMac (20-inch Early 2009)

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:02 AM

Try this: How to overcome OS X 10.11 El Capitan not installing. Should it not help, then see the following:

This will reinstall OS X without erasing your drive.

Please be sure you backed up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 7:02 AM in response to sailorand

Try this: How to overcome OS X 10.11 El Capitan not installing. Should it not help, then see the following:

This will reinstall OS X without erasing your drive.

Please be sure you backed up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Why won't El Capitan download on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.