Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7 Cases

OK, so I just dropped a pile of cash on a new iPad Pro 9.7", an Apple Pencil and a Smart Keyboard. I also got a Zagg Glass screen protector. Unfortunately, the back of my beautiful iPad is still unprotected, leaving is susceptible to all manner of scratches, scuffs and dings. I need a case that will protect the back of the iPad, accommodate the Smart Keyboard, be able to hold the iPad in either horizontal or verticle (aka landscape or portrait) and have a place to store the Pencil, without which it will likely get lost or dropped repeatedly. After googling a bit, I have been unable to find a case that meets all of these requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot for any input.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 4:17 PM

15 replies

May 3, 2016 5:32 PM in response to gargoylz1

I have an iPad Pro 9.7, an Apple Smart keyboard and I use it with the Apple silicon case. The case provides very good protection for the back of the iPad and works well with the Smart Keyboard. I do not have an Apple Pencil, so I don't have anything to recommend with respect to a case that would also store the pencil. Hope this is helpful to you.

May 3, 2016 7:43 PM in response to gargoylz1

I looked at the silicone back cover from Apple - nice, but I decided it was extremely overpriced. So, I went shopping online and got a Luvvitt from Amazon - there are two versions: one is compatible with the Apple keyboard, the other one is not:

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Case-Transparent-Shockproof-Air/dp/B019Z5Q5Z4

I am extremely happy with it: it is pliable, but a solid cover and comes off easily if necessary.

I also got a Zagg invisible shield glass cover. And, then I got a sleeve which has a holder for the Pencil, also from Amazon - very happy with that as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-ProCase-Compatible-Keyboard-Document/dp/B01D9LJ1UG? ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_…

Edit: we still seem to have a problem with links actually working: please copy and paste the links if you want to look at the stuff.

May 4, 2016 3:00 PM in response to babowa

I agree. The silicon case offered by Apple is WAY overpriced even for them, considering that it is nothing more than a cover with no additional features. I like the clear, yet protective case you referenced. However, so far, nothing mentioned solves the issue of being able to hold the iPad in both landscape and portrait orientations. The Smart Keyboard obviously does a fine job of the former, but fails to address the latter. There are times, and some apps demand it, when you want or need the iPad to stand vertically. The Smart Keyboard and the simple covers do not allow for this orientation. Surely someone has made a decent case that will accommodate the keyboard and still display the iPad in either landscape or portrait.

May 4, 2016 3:02 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I looked at the silicone back cover from Apple - nice, but I decided it was extremely overpriced. So, I went shopping online and got a Luvvitt from Amazon - there are two versions: one is compatible with the Apple keyboard, the other one is not:

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Case-Transparent-Shockproof-Air/dp/B019Z5Q5Z4

I am extremely happy with it: it is pliable, but a solid cover and comes off easily if necessary.

I also got a Zagg invisible shield glass cover. And, then I got a sleeve which has a holder for the Pencil, also from Amazon - very happy with that as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-ProCase-Compatible-Keyboard-Document/dp/B01D9LJ1UG? ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_…

Now look what you did! I just went and spent more money! 😉

May 4, 2016 3:32 PM in response to gargoylz1

I don't have a keyboard (yet). Also looked at the Apple keyboard, but did not like that it was quite this flexible because I'd want one I can use on my lap. Right now, I have not seen the absolutely ideal keyboard case for me although this comes close (but it's a bit heavy) - should actually work with the ipad Pro the way it is constructed, but not sure and have asked Kensington - no answer yet:

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4462/k97410us/keyfolio-pro-plus-for-ipad-air-2ip ad-air#.Vyp2f2YaAki

I like the glass screen cover and pliable back cover a lot - neither "shows" really, but protects the iPad and the sleeve is quite smart looking. And it feels like you have a good grip on it when carrying it. Since I have an extra Apple bluetooth keyboard at home, I may use that here and possibly get a keyboard case when I'm elsewhere - the pliable cover is easy to take off and simply slip the iPad into the keyboard case. You mentioned portrait - I agree (I just use whatever I have available on my desk to prop it up if needed); I believe I saw some on ebay with a keyboard and the back cover being able to use either vertically or horizontally - no idea if they'd be any good or not.

@ Meg:

I wasn't expecting much for the price and was pleasantly surprised..... and it's ok, I can handle being blamed... 😀

May 4, 2016 3:53 PM in response to babowa

I wish I had waited to purchase a keyboard for the iPad. The Smart Keyboard is great in that it does not require charging, it takes power from the iPad through the Smart Connector without affecting the battery life of the iPad too much. However, there are third party Bluetooth keyboards that will accommodate the iPad in either portrait or landscape. Kensington may allow this, and I'm pretty sure Zagg offers keyboards for the Pro that will too, I know the Zagg I have for my old iPad allows either orientation. Looks like I just might have to design my own case with all the bells and whistles I need. Then I can sell it become filthy rich! 🙂

May 5, 2016 9:16 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

@Meg - I agree it is a little on the flexible side. I am able to use it on my lap as long as I am not too aggressive with my typing. 😝 As with the other items mentioned in this thread, the problem is portrait viewing. With Bluetooth keyboards you can position the iPad however you want and type away. The "Smart Connector" forces you to use landscape only. Am I the only person who owns an iPad who wanto the freedom to use either orientation freely? That seems unlikely. As such, these products should be developed with that in mind. The user should not be bound to a predetermined method of use. If my device has the ability to be used either horizontally or vertically, the accessories made for that device should make use of both as well. I shouldn't have to remove the Smart Keyboard simply because I happen to use an app that works best for me in portrait mode. This goes for the cases as well. If they can be used as a stand, then it should work in landscape or portrait. Tire manufacturers don't produce tires that only drive forward when the car can drive forward or backward. Not a strong analogy, but you get my point. 🙂

May 5, 2016 9:29 AM in response to gargoylz1

While I'm sure you're not the only person, I suspect you're in a minority. All I can suggest it that you submit feedback to al the manufacturers who's products you might consider buying if they offered this feature.

Zagg makes a universal keyboard that has a slot for standing a tablet. You could use it either way. I also have a case for my iPad Air that rotated nicely. I don't see (on Amazon at least) that they have a similar case for the Pro 9.7 but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.amazon.com/SHARKK-IPDAIR360-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B00GR1I242 /ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462465567&sr=8-…

I use a lap desk when sitting (wooden with a cushion velcroed to the back that I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond) as it protects my legs from the heat of a laptop and makes typing easier.

Aug 26, 2016 6:56 AM in response to gargoylz1

I completely agree: if you are using the iPad for working on US Letter sized documents (or A4), it is often far better in Portrait mode.

The Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro keyboard case for the iPad Air 2 allowed both orientations. I am told (but have not personally verified) that the Air 2 version will fit a 9.7 Pro, but will cover up the flash and one set of speakers.

iPad Pro 9.7 Cases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.