Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up ATT 3G Microcell to work with AirportExtreme

I just got an ATT 3G Microcell because coverage in my area is pretty bad.

It requires that I open UDP ports 123/UDP, 443/TCP, 500/UDP

How do I do that in my Airport Extreme?

Thanks,

Claudio

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 3, 2016 5:40 PM

4 replies

May 4, 2016 8:18 AM in response to Claudio Edelman

FWIW. I have this same AT&T Microcell. In my case I did NOT have to open any ports to get it to work. The key to getting this device to work properly is that it has to know the GPS coordinates of your exact location. It gets this from accessing satellites so it needs to be near a window.

Is your AirPort Extreme the only router in your current network configuration? What exact model is it? What is the make & model of your Internet modem? Does your ISP provide you with cable or DSL Internet service?

May 4, 2016 3:41 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi,

First of all thanks for replying so quickly. Here is as much info as I have:

The Microcell has 4 lights: 3 of them are solid green (including the GPS). The only one that remains blinking green is the network light (top one).

The ISP is North State (local company in North Carolina). The modem is a fiber optics gateway made by Zhone, so VDSL.

The AirportExtreme is connected directly (wired) to the Zhone gateway. The Microcell is wired to the AirportExtreme (I tried connecting it to the Zhone gateway with same results)

I do not know how to find out the exact model of the AirportExtreme. I bought it a week ago @ the AppleStore, so I assume is latest model (it does not have a disk inside it)

I do not know of any other router in the system. I do have an AirportExpress downstream to provide better coverage in the back of the house. It is setup in "bridge" mode.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Claudio

May 4, 2016 5:48 PM in response to Claudio Edelman

(I tried connecting it to the Zhone gateway with same results)

That information is critical since that narrows the issue down to two possibilities:

1) Your gateway......which is actually a modem and router in one package......is blocking the connection to the ATT Microcell. You may need to get with the support folks from your provider if they supplied the gateway to you for more information on how to check port status.

or

2) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is blocking the connection for some reason.

So your task will be to first get the Microcell working when you connect it directly to your gateway.

When it works that way, it will also work with the AirPort Extreme.....since the AirPort Extreme is configured in Bridge Mode to work with your gateway.....and in Bridge Mode, no ports are blocked at all.....the AirPort acts as a "pass through" device in Bridge Mode.

May 5, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Claudio Edelman

The Microcell has 4 lights: 3 of them are solid green (including the GPS). The only one that remains blinking green is the network light (top one).

This would indicate that the MicroCell is unable to access the AT&T servers (most likely scenario.) This could also mean one of the following may have occurred:

• MicroCell activation is still pending.
  • There is a hardware or update failure.

When the MicroCell first boots up, it obtains an IP address using DHCP, syncs network time using NTP, and then, does a DNS query to AT&T's servers. If all of this is successful, it will "talk" with those servers over an IPsec VPN connection.

At this point the actual physical address of the MicroCell will be verified via an online registration process prior to use. If buildings or other obstructions block either satellite or cell tower wireless signals to the MicroCell, AT&T may not be able to verify the location of the device and the MicroCell will not go into service.

Once that is done, the MicroCell, will get the GPS signal, notes the local tower signal, and adjusts its internal transmitter's power. Simultaneously it will attempt to update its firmware.

Finally, after all of that, the network light should turn to a solid green.

If the Power, Internet & GPS lights are solid green, and you have already tried power recycling all of your networking hardware, then try the following steps to perform a complete reset & re-activation of your MicroCell:

• Turn off your phone(s)
  • De-register the MicroCell at myATT, and then, log off.
  • Perform a hard reset of the MicroCell. To do so, disconnect power from the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button while reconnecting power to the MicroCell. Keep holding it for at least 30 secs.
  • Go back to myATT and re-register the MicroCell.
  • Wait for the registration process to complete.
  • Turn on your phone(s).

What you have basically done is reset the MicroCell to its default settings and go through the initial activation process again.

If you are still unable to activate the MicroCell, then as Bob has mentioned, you will need to open the following ports on the VDSL gateway:

• UDP 123 (for NTP)
  • TCP 443 (for HTTPS)
  • UDP 4500 (for IPsec NAT traversal)
  • UDP 500 (for IPsec's initial contact phase)

The ISP is North State (local company in North Carolina). The modem is a fiber optics gateway made by Zhone, so VDSL.

AT&T's Internet service is either ADSL2+, or VDSL, which is a combination of fiber and copper, to bring service to you home. VDSL is distance limited like DSL, but uses a fiber optic connection part way to increase available bandwidth. The final connection to the home (aka, the "last mile") it typically over existing copper lines. Note: ADSL2+ modem do not work with VSDL and vice versa.

Either type of service works with the Microcell, but VDSL is a bit less tolerant to line faults ... and thus somewhat more difficult to get working properly with the MicroCell.

Setting up ATT 3G Microcell to work with AirportExtreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.