Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.2 New Movie and New Trailer Greyed out

used iMovie to import media yesterday. when to work on it tonight. New Movie and New Trailer are greyed out. have quit/relaunched and restarted. not effect.

what is going on?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 7:58 AM

This worked ... thanks. Brilliant software engineering here from the Jr. High school kids interning at Apple. I wonder if they thought of letting users know of this change by ... well say hooking the New Movie and New Trailer buttons to at least a message, or allowing legacy behaviour.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2017 7:58 AM in response to Rich839

This worked ... thanks. Brilliant software engineering here from the Jr. High school kids interning at Apple. I wonder if they thought of letting users know of this change by ... well say hooking the New Movie and New Trailer buttons to at least a message, or allowing legacy behaviour.

May 4, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Rich839

I made my previous post from my iPad where I did not have iMovie available.

You open a movie from the projects window. There you can create a new movie by clicking on the gray square in the upper left that is titled Create New. Or, once you are in the projects window, you can use File/New Movie and File/New Trailer, and they won't be grayed out.

May 27, 2016 2:10 AM in response to Rich839

It seems that the new movie option does not take you to any theme.

the other problem i have is that when i import media the entire media shows up in the left top box as a small image of the entire video. If i try to use zoom i get a nice long version of my media but i can no longer use the mouse to drag what ever portion i want to cut and drop too the bottom.

Now i have to drag the entire clip to the bottom and cut it up there.

May 27, 2016 9:15 AM in response to mindscape8088

"i can no longer use the mouse to drag what ever portion i want to cut and drop too the bottom."

hold down the R key when dragging across the clip.

as to the original problem, another call to apple revealed that if one is in a project, the new movie/trailer menu items are greyed out. one must exit from the project to save it, then those menu items become available.

iMovie 10.1.2 New Movie and New Trailer Greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.