Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up an Yahoo account on iPad Air 2 version 9.2

I am trying to set up an account on an Apple IPad Air 2 with version 9.2.1. When I get to the very last step and hitting next this is what it says; Cannot get mail, the user name or password for IMAP.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect. I thought I may have been making a mistake at first, but since I have tried setting it up about a half dozen time it is not a mistake. Has anyone else had this problem? I even followed instructions from two different website but yet to no avail.

Under IMAP I am putting in (Imap.mail.yahoo.com) without the parenthesis.

i am putting an e-mail address in for the user name and the password on the password line. I can't quite figure it out.

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:45 PM

7 replies

May 3, 2016 6:58 PM in response to waynefromgettysburg

Try resetting your Mail Account. First close your Mail App completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. On the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

May 3, 2016 7:10 PM in response to waynefromgettysburg

Are you trying to set up the mail account using the "Other" option when setting up the e-mail?

There's a preset Yahoo option, that has all the settings, no server settings need to be added.

User uploaded file

Just to test, I added my account using the Yahoo option, and it worked the first time.

I also used the "Other" option, and it worked, but only after a couple of tries.

Make sure you aren't capitalizing the I in imap. Needs to be lower case.

Also make sure your user name is your entire email address. ie your_name@yahoo.com

May 4, 2016 5:41 PM in response to elcpu

I don't think I explained this very well. This is a brand new iPad Air 2 that has never had any e-mail client installed. I am trying to set it up for a friend. I am trying to set up Yahoo E-mail client for the first time on this iPad. I have worked for several hours now trying to get it set up to no avail. Everything I have tried has failed. There is no e-mail client to delete since I am setting it up for the first time. When I try to set it up it tells me the following:

Cannot get mail, the user name or password for imap.mail.yahoo.com is incorrect. This is what I am putting in for the incoming mail server: host name, imap.mail.yahoo.com, user name e-mail address and password. For the outgoing mail server I am putting in smpt.mail.yahoo.com plus the user name and password. I have used two different examples from the website telling how to set up Yahoo but to no avail. I have read where others have had this same trouble. By the way I have att&t and am on wifi. Thanks for the help.

May 4, 2016 8:45 PM in response to waynefromgettysburg

I Never said anything about transferring email clients. E-mail clients, are the applications used to view e-mail.

Using the Yahoo preset as above will let you setup an existing yahoo e-mail account on the default mail client or app on the iPad. So mail delivered to said account can be viewed through the mail app on the iPad. Again, there's no real need to use the "Other" option, when the preset has all the settings there already.

If you are trying to create a new account that does not already exist on the Yahoo servers, then you need to do so from Yahoo's website.

May 5, 2016 5:28 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil, here is the situation. I am setting up Yahoo for a friend. She currently has Yahoo on her cell phone. I am going to put it on her ipad. She could not remember her password, her secret words,, and she did not have a cellphone number on file with her account. Since we cannot get into her account I have decided to make her a new account. At first I was not sure how to do this. I realize what you are saying. That is to go to the Yahoo Website and create the new account from there. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Setting up an Yahoo account on iPad Air 2 version 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.