Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpeted error in airport express A1264 setup

Weird problem. When i try to set i up on my home network (verizon router), it cycles through setup, only to give me the unexpected error message ( trying to use it simply as an airplay connection for a stereo). Whether on my phone or mac, it winds up knocking out wifi on the device to the point where I have to forget my network, and rejoin using the password. Oddly, it worked perfectly when the tried to set it up at work on my phone.

Thanks, Peter

Airport express-OTHER, iOS 9.3

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:02 PM

8 replies

May 4, 2016 1:23 PM in response to Hiphopblues

I was able to get the wifi working on the Imac by deleting this file from my library (

com.apple.discoveryd.plist) and restarting.

Ah, the infamous discoveryd. OS X Yosemite introduced discoveryd.plist. It replaced mDNSResponder (which was used since 10.2 Jaguar,) and has subsequently been discontinued with the release El Capitan because it was problematic.

mDNSResponder has many jobs: Resolving DNS names, resolving Bonjour machine names & Bonjour service advertisement and discovery, and opening ports in NAT gateways to allow incoming network connections. discoveryd has its share of bugs. For instance, when the system is unable to resolve DNS names, discoveryd log messages indicate that it doesn't recognize the replies from the DNS server to its own requests.

Unexpeted error in airport express A1264 setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.