Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac file sharing on Macbook Pro 2015 vs mid2012 Macbook Pro differences and issues

Hola!

I travel a lot for work and I love my 2015 macbook pro! However, I wanted an iMac for the house and video editing which works great! HOWEVER..... I wanted to access my work files on the 2015 macbook pro on the iMac easily, which is so easy! The 2015 macbook pro sits on the desk with the screen closed and plugged in. I simply find the 2015 macbook pro in finder on the iMac and log in! Awesome! I even have Quickbooks running on the iMac and it automatically finds the company's financial files and saves them to the 2015 macbook pro! Great to easily access and have the up to date files on my 2015 macbook pro while I travel and to have access to the SAME files at home on the iMac with the 2015 macbook resting nicely until I travel again. I keep the video editing files on the iMac which I don't have access while I travel. I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not utilizing that.

HERE'S MY ISSUE!

Why doesn't my mid2012 macbook pro play as nicely as the 2015 macbook pro. I had both macs set up with the iMac copying files from the mid2012 macbook pro, then my wife asks to use the mid2012 macbook pro and closes the cover to take the mid2012 macbook pro to another room. Immediately when the screen closes on the mid2012 macbook pro I loose connection on the iMac.

mid2012 macbook pro 10.9.5

2015 macbook pro and iMac 10.11.4

Obviously I could update the mid2012 macbook pro, but it's not my computer. The computer is my wife's that I have an administrator user account to log into.

Could this be a settings issue?

Was this a change in the OS update?

Is this a computer generation that does not support the behavior I would like it to exhibit as it does on the 2015 macbook pro? Just to be clear.....I want to keep the screen closed on the mid2012 macbook pro and use my new iMac to log into mid2012 macbook pro to access files.

Thanks!

J

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:14 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2016 6:49 AM in response to Jetjarv

Hello Jetjarv,
I understand that you are transferring files to your iMac and losing connection when the display is shut on the MacBook Pro. Let's see if we can get that sorted out.
What immediately comes to mind is that when you shut the lid, it puts the MacBook Pro to sleep and disables the connection for File Sharing. I would suggest to keep the display open so it does not interrupt that connection. Now I know you can still share files between your iMac and MacBook Pro even though they are asleep. I would look in the Energy Saver preferences and make sure that Wake for network access is turned on. Take a look at the link below for more details.
About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201960

Take care

iMac file sharing on Macbook Pro 2015 vs mid2012 Macbook Pro differences and issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.