Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault won't turn off.

I'm using a 2010 iMac Desktop Computer, OS X El Capitan version:10.11.4. I've got 500 GB of storage and of that, 428.54 GB are free. Processor name: Intel Core i3 Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz. Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB. My preferred Browser: Safari. I'm also running a personal firewall, (Firewall Guard Pro- Version 1.0.0) & BDAntivirus for Mac- V. 4.1.0. I need to teach myself to read the support forums "BEFORE" I attempt to explore my Mac. If I had read some of these FileVault posts prior to turning it on, I wouldn't have the problem most seem to have after turning it on. Question! The warning only emphasizes the password and recovery key, why wouldn't Apple think this problem, with needed space, wouldn't warrant it's own warning. Or have a pop-up that appears stating "Big Mistake". It could appear right after clicking open the lock. Unfortunately I don't believe that's my problem, the one with not enough space. I haven't located my problem in the forums yet. My problem is, I turned on FileVault looking for some added protection. Why not, I thought, it's there for a reason. "To use". So it start's encrypting. Everything is fine, in show's me a scale which tell's me I have about 5 hours to go, not bad, and I go to bed. In the morning, I just put the computer to sleep, I look and it say's the encryption was successful and is finished. So I go to the toolbar and click help. I search for, "how to turn off file vault", I do that a lot, use help. I'm not that tech savvy, and this is my first computer, so I want to try to do things right. I do what help say's, I choose Apple Menu> System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click FileVault. I click the lock icon, and entered an administrator name and PW. Then a pop-up appears and it say's something like, " Turn off file vault, then click off Encryption, and restart your computer". I clicked Turn Off FileVault and it greyed. And that was it. From that point on it is all about the spinning ball. If System Pref's. is on in the toolbar I can't use the toolbar until I get a browser or other app up there. I can't do anything with the Security & Privacy Window, oh, I can move it with the pointer. I never saw the "Turn Off Encryption" button, and my computer did not attempt a restart, nor prompt me to do a restart. Therefore I haven't attempted a restart. I'm afraid to. System Pref's. is continually running, it can only be turned off with a Force Quit. On the Security & Privacy Window, which has been on the screen since 4-28-2016, it say's, FileVault is turned on for the disk "Macintosh HD". Below that in smaller letter's it say's, Encryption finished. And the Lock Icon is still unlocked. I didn't get any messages about an error. When I get Info on my HD, the results show, Capacity: 499.25 GB, Available: 428.73 GB. I'm trying to give as much info as I can, and not being Tech savvy, I don't know what this is. It's a disk I located in disk utility. ST3500418AS Media, 500.11 GB SATA Internal Physical Disk. Free Space: 0, Available Space: 0, Is encrypted: NO, Can be verified, Owners enabled, is bootable, Journaled, can be repaired, Writable. No, no, no, no, no, no. What's this?.

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:25 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2016 6:46 AM in response to jrmull88

Hello jrmull88,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you turned on File Vault 2 and now you want to turn it off. To get started, your computer should've restarted after going through the FileVault setup. Since you put the computer to sleep while this process was running, it didn't have the opportunity to restart. Given this, please restart your computer as it is required.

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac

Take care.

May 5, 2016 3:10 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately I couldn't wait for an answer any longer, so yesterday I phoned AppleSupport. We disconnected the power & after pugging it back in , we proceeded with a start up in safe mode, followed with a restart. Although it took care of my problem I no longer have my disk encrypted. I don't think I'll be turning FileVault on again any time soon. I keep hearing about FileVault 2. I just have FileVault. Again, thanks for your answer.

FileVault won't turn off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.