Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

burn iso to usb on mac?

So, I have an iso file I need to burn to a usb drive for use with a windows computer. It's a bootible iso image that can be burned to a usb stick. I need to burn it to a usb drive for use with a windows computer. I've looked all over the internet for software that can be used to burn an iso image to a usb drive on a mac, but haven't been successful. I can't use the command line. I am blind, and must use a screen reader to use a computer. I cannot use the command line. Does anyone know of a way I can burn an iso file to a usb drive without the command line? Is their a third party program that can be used to burn iso images to a usb drive on mac os ten computers? thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), late 2011

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:18 PM

8 replies

May 9, 2016 2:37 PM in response to Stephen Zelley

Hey, this is Stephen again. Have any of you seen my post? No one has answered it. It has been almost a week and no one has replied to this post. Please find a way to answer my post to at least point me in the write direction for a way I can burn an iso file to a usb drive on os ten. I'm now working with a macbook air, early 2014. I am running os ten lcapitan, 10.11.4. Sorry for any spelling errors. Thanks in advance

May 9, 2016 6:17 PM in response to Stephen Zelley

no problem, Stephen. As far as I know, you don't need a program to transfer an iso to a usb drive. Just Make sure it's formatted as either EXFat or Fat32

(which both macs and PC's can read) and that it's big enough, then just plug the formatted usb drive in, and drag n' drop the iso onto the usb drive when it shows up. When it's done copying, Eject it safely and you should be good to go

good luck

John B

May 9, 2016 8:04 PM in response to Johnb-one

Hey, thanks for answering. I'm not trying to copy the iso to the usb drive using the finder. A better turm would be, clone, the partition that is on the disk image. You know, like when you click on a disk image, and a new partition mounts in the finder? What I'm trying to do is clone the iso to a usb drive and make it bootible so my windows computer can boot from it. For windows, their is a program called, isotousb, that can be used to clone an iso file to and make it bootible. But I need to do it using a mac for use with my windows computer. However, their is no version of this program for a mac. And I can't use the command line to clone it, because as I said before, I am blind, and can't use the computer without a screen reader, so it's hard for me to read each letter or number one by one, then switch to the turminnal to try and copy it in their. I was asking if anyone knew a program for a mac that can clone an iso file to a usb drive without having to fight with the command line? thanks in advance.

May 9, 2016 8:16 PM in response to Stephen Zelley

You aren't "burning" the iso. Burning literally involves burning the chemical dye used in optical discs.

If you are trying to install a bootable copy of something for Windows on a Mac you are very limited in tools. Check WinClone but make sure it does exactly what you want to do. Normally it is used to clone BootCamp backups to other drives and I am not sure if it is designed to use iso files.

May 10, 2016 6:12 PM in response to Limnos

Can anyone please send the link to download win clone? And, if at all possible, can anyone try to point me in the write direction for finding a program that will allow cloning an iso file to a usb drive on without needing to fight with the command line? I just want to make shure I download win clone from the websight who made it. Thanks in advance, and thank you for suggesting a program I can try to see if it works. Thanks.

May 10, 2016 6:49 PM in response to Stephen Zelley

In case their was a miss understanding, I'm not trying to make the iso bootible so my mac can boot from it. I'm trying to clone the iso file to a usb drive and make it bootible so my windows computer can boot from it, not my mac. Also, I googled win clone, but you actually have to buy it. I have no money, so I can't buy software write now. Does anyone know of a program that can clone iso files to usb drives, and make them bootible, that can be downloaded free of charge? And if not, Can anyone send me links to other websights to help point me in the write direction for finding downloadable software that can burn iso images to usb drives on macs? Thanks in advance for anything you can find.

May 11, 2016 5:48 AM in response to Stephen Zelley

I'm trying to clone the iso file to a usb drive and make it bootible so my windows computer can boot from it, not my mac. Also, I googled win clone, but you actually have to buy it. I have no money, so I can't buy software write now.

I understood what you wanted to do. Utilities for using a Mac to make a Windows bootable drive are very limited. It just isn't something in high demand. Typically computers on which you want to have Windows you will use a Windows installer, or will be working on a Windows platform and can use Windows tools.

Yes, you have to pay for WinClone. You can do web searches for alternatives as easily as I can but I don't think there are any. As I said before, it is an unusual task and people just aren't writing software to do it.

burn iso to usb on mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.