Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep my child from UNBLOCKING contacts or numbers I have blocked?

This was asked by someone else back in 2013 but there was no useful answer and apparently it has not been addressed by Apple so far. Here is a big problem:

How can I keep my child from UNBLOCKING contacts or numbers I have blocked? I know in restrictions when you disable account changes, iMessages and Facetime buttons are greyed out in the settings screen. However one can easily unblock any blocked contact from facetime or iMessages interface even when the restrictions on account changes are active.

I am not sure if there is any wisdom behind it but it certainly is a vulnerability for children.

Thanks,

Posted on May 3, 2016 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 9:37 PM

Two thoughts come to mind:

10 replies

May 4, 2016 9:06 AM in response to ManSinha

ManSinha wrote:

The restrictions are in essence to prevent other programs making changes to the contact information when they access it. It does not serve to prevent the user from making changes - as you have discovered

Guided access as suggested by sberman is one way around that if it meets your needs

Restrictions, or Parental Controls, offer a variety of things that can be prevented on the devices. For Contacts, it falls under the Privacy control and only prevents applications from accessing and making changes to the Contacts. It's highlighted in this article from Apple: Use Restrictions on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 4, 2016 1:45 PM in response to ember1205

As unpopular an answer as this may be... I would suggest it's about privacy.

Controlling another's usage of their device is a slippery slope privacy-wise. Parent's who say, "I pay for it, so I control how it gets used" are entitled to that conclusion. "I say how they use it" and so on. They parent as they see fit.

Turn off the features you don't want them using. Technology can't always solve every issue a parent faces.

This battle has been going on since there have been young people who want to do as they wish. And they typically find a way.

May 3, 2016 9:27 PM in response to iFrustrated_2008

Can you explain what you mean by

How can I keep my child from UNBLOCKING contacts or numbers I have blocked? I know in restrictions when you disable account changes, iMessages and Facetime buttons are greyed out in the settings screen. However one can easily unblock any blocked contact from facetime or iMessages interface even when the restrictions on account changes are active.

Blocking a contact blocks them from calling or texting you. So, not understanding what it is that you are attempting to do, and how you are indicating that they are getting around it?

Cheers,

GB

May 3, 2016 9:35 PM in response to gail from maine

I do not want my child to be able to sent text messages to or receive from certain contacts. If I block these contacts it is easy to unblock them on the Facetime. You can try yourself: Block a contact. Turn on the restrictions and disallow the account changes. And then go the facetime. Type the contact info. It will ask you if you want to unblock it. And you will be able to unblock although the restrictions are in place. I hope this clarifies.

May 4, 2016 8:36 AM in response to iFrustrated_2008

iFrustrated_2008 wrote:

I do not want my child to be able to sent text messages to or receive from certain contacts. If I block these contacts it is easy to unblock them on the Facetime. You can try yourself: Block a contact. Turn on the restrictions and disallow the account changes. And then go the facetime. Type the contact info. It will ask you if you want to unblock it. And you will be able to unblock although the restrictions are in place. I hope this clarifies.

The restrictions are in essence to prevent other programs making changes to the contact information when they access it. It does not serve to prevent the user from making changes - as you have discovered

Guided access as suggested by sberman is one way around that if it meets your needs

Nov 20, 2016 11:40 AM in response to iFrustrated_2008

I have the same issue and have been searching online.... does anyone know of an APP that will work to block the phone number/imessaging? I do not want to remove imessaging feature... that means I as a parent can not iMessage. I want to be able to block certain numbers only that my child can not unblock. Yes I am paying for parent controls through my cell carrier but that does not block imessaging since it is through wifi and do not need a cell provider to use imessage

How can I keep my child from UNBLOCKING contacts or numbers I have blocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.