Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I preview my edits to a FCP Motion effect using my sample video footage?

I am trying to edit the "Film Noir" effect that came with Final Cut Pro X. I have created a copy of the original effect and I have opened it in Motion but I cannot figure out how to view the effect with video content so I can see the modifications to the effect that I am making in Motion. Any tip on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 3, 2016 9:18 PM

1 reply

May 4, 2016 6:03 AM in response to lazlototh

There should be a layer in the effect called "Effect Source", it is basically a drop zone layer. you can import a file into the project, go to the Properties for the Effect Source layer and there is a Media option. Open that and click the "To" pop-up. you can pick any piece of media in the project to be displayed there. I often use a still image for ref. Another way to do this is to drag a file from the finder, to the Effect Source layer in the layer list, the cursor icon will turn to a curved arrow. Drop the media and will fill the layer.

When you are done creating your effect, just delete the media fro the project, I do this in the media tab, before saving and going back to FCP.

How can I preview my edits to a FCP Motion effect using my sample video footage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.