Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if my 2011 mbp is Low or Hi Res?

I bought a MBP from the store I work with, it needed a new lcd but I didn't realize that there were two different resolutions offered, and since the LCD is ruined I have no real way of seeing which it came with. It is a 2.0ghz i7 with a glossy display, 4gb ram 500gb hdd.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:49 PM

7 replies

May 4, 2016 12:09 AM in response to KyleSimmons96

Are you able to view it running at all, even on an external monitor? Because if you can, check the internal display resolution in Displays preferences. If it is the standard resolution model it will report 1440 x 900 for the internal display, but if it is the high resolution model (which I have) it will read 1680 x 1050.

KyleSimmons96 wrote:

Does anybody know if it's possble to put a higher res display on it?

As far as I know, it is impossible. Whichever resolution screen it came with is the only one it will work with. They cannot be interchanged.

May 4, 2016 12:00 AM in response to Network 23

I'll try taking it in to work tomorrow and hooking it up, but I think i've tried. The old owner left his password on it (I haven't taken it off yet). Tbh this is my first mac,but i've worked on them for a little while. Will it show picture on the second monitor even if it's just on the login screen? When i've tried it before it didn't show picture, but after testing a macbook we bought today, I realized the dvi cable wasn't plugged in all the way, so i'm not too sure 😝

May 4, 2016 12:08 AM in response to KyleSimmons96

That's a good question. The second monitor should light up, but it might have a blank desktop. If the login screen is on the broken internal monitor but you can log in blind, after it reaches the desktop you could then try pressing Command-F1 to toggle display mirroring (might require pressing Fn-Command-F1 if on a laptop keyboard).

http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/27/mirror-display-mac-keyboard-shortcut/

Mirroring should put the same image on both monitors so you can get to work.

If the external monitor does not light up, you can try clearing the NVRAM...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

...to reset monitors.

How do I know if my 2011 mbp is Low or Hi Res?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.