Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPOD I wrote below

I plugged in my iPod to new applemac to charge. It showed an update for my old iPod and I clicked on it. After updating to latest, or restore, I noticed that All of my music on iPod was gone. All of My music was from my CD's that I downloaded to my iPod for listening, while I ran. I went back to my Old Windows computer , iTunes and saw that my OLDIES BUT GOODIES where still there! WOOHOO! I took an external flash drive and copy & pasted to it. Question: How do I get my music on iTunes folder on old windows computer back on my UPDATED iPod? P.S. You cannot save this backup to iCloud or iTunes because this was not music that was directly bought from their Apple store. This was music that I downloaded from my CD's to my iPod, and is now an updated iPod, without my downloaded CD music. PLEASE HELP! I know that there is a genius out there, with this info I NEED!

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:57 PM

2 replies

May 4, 2016 12:06 AM in response to clembaby

After updating to latest, or restore, I noticed that All of my music on iPod was gone.

If you did a Restore on the iPod, that erases the iPod and installs the latest version of iPod's software. If you did an Update, that should only update iPod's software. Doing a Restore actually works out fine, because your iPod was probably formatted for Windows; it's better for it to be formatted for Mac, since you are using it with a Mac going forward. Doing a Restore using iTunes on your Mac re-formats it for Mac.

This was music that I downloaded from my CD's to my iPod...

The songs on the old PC do not need to be purchased items from the iTunes Store. They can be from ANY source, as long as they are song files that iTunes can play (or song files that iTunes can convert into a compatible format while importing).

I took an external flash drive and copy & pasted to it.

To add your song files that are on your USB flash drive an iTunes library your Mac, you can do it one of two ways. But first, open iTunes preferences Advanced pane (on the Mac). There are two checkboxes there for Keep iTunes Media folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. You should checkmark both of those boxes, if they are not already. For a Mac, those two settings are enabled by default (unless you changed them). At the top of that Advanced preference pane, it shows the path to your iTunes Media folder. You don't need to change that path, but (as an FYI) that is where iTunes stores your song files.

The two ways are (1) to transfer your complete iTunes library from the old PC to the new Mac OR (2) to only transfer your song files from the old PC and add them to a new iTunes library on the Mac. The difference is that with (1), you get to keep supporting data such as playlists, ratings, play count, date added, etc. It will be the same iTunes library on the new Mac. With (2), the iTunes library on the Mac is new, and you are adding your old song files to it.

You still have your old PC with your old iTunes library still working, so you can use either method. It sounds like you are more prepared to use method (2), with your song files already copied to a USB flash drive. Do you want to continue with that method, or go back to your old PC to transfer the complete iTunes library, which is method (1)?

IPOD I wrote below

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.