Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining albums leaves leftover song

So I buy albums of music that have 4-6 discs in them and I know to change them all to the same album name for them to be combined. However, recently, when I do that, there appears to be leftover songs that just do not want to combine with the rest of the album no matter how I try to match up the info.

For example:

Import Album Disc 1.

Import Album Disc 2.

Merge albums.

Last song of Disc 2 doesn't merge.

Import Album Disc 3.

Merge albums.

Now the leftover song from Disc 2 is merged, but the last song of Disc 3 is not in the album.

Import Album Disc 4.

Merge albums.

Leftover song from Disc 3 is merged but now last song of Disc 4 is not.

This is driving me nuts. NUTS, I SAY! I thought that maybe closing and reopening itunes or restarting my computer would help, but it doesn't. However, when I sync itunes from the computer to my ipod, then on the ipod, all the songs appear in one album but on the computer the leftover song is still separate. :/ I really don't know what to do. I don't know why I can't just drag and drop the leftover song in the album myself.

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:48 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2016 3:09 AM in response to kittykoop

If iTunes shows multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen iTunes between the two renaming operations.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my iTunes Match library the other day that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that iTunes wanted to keep separate start typing a value and let iTunes autocomplete from Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Nov 11, 2016 7:59 AM in response to kittykoop

I've consistently had this problem for months. The solution offered doesn't seem ideal. I've also tried a version of that solution (renaming the album for all tracks) but it usually results in a different track being kicked out.

Does apple have anything to say about this? It's fairly annoying and seems like an obvious bug.

Nov 11, 2016 8:36 AM in response to me_now

Apple don't generally comment, but you would think they have had enough feedback on these problems by now. 😟

The forum software broke the link to http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp in my earlier post. It would be much nice if you could simply drag and drop one repeated album or artist onto another and have iTunes confirm that you wanted to merge them, but since that feature doesn't exist tweaking metadata is a way that does. Once you're used to doing it then it doesn't take long.

tt2

Combining albums leaves leftover song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.