You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bulk deleting over 3,000 emails

I Have about 3,400 emails and I want to delete them all from my iPad. I followed the directions on this forum: edit; select one email; press and hold MOVE; deselect the selected email; wait until it selects all and the option to move to trash is enabled, then move to trash and delete trash. I think because there are so many, my iPad just sits there and times out. The 'turning wheel' that indicates the iPad is processing a request never turns, so is it doing anything? What did I do wrong, other than let 3,400 emails mount up? Help me get rid of these!!

Ipad 2 with current iOS

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 9:09 AM

Try this

• Go to your Inbox folder
  • Tap on the "Edit"-Button on the top right
  • Select the first email in your list
  • Hold down the "Move" button
  • While you are still holding the "Move"-Button, deselect the first E-Mail
  • Put away all your fingers from the screen and wait a few seconds
  • Now Mail asks you where to move ALL of your emails
  • Select the Trash Folder as destination
  • From inside the Trash Folder, you can delete all items at once
7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2016 9:09 AM in response to AULaady

Try this

• Go to your Inbox folder
  • Tap on the "Edit"-Button on the top right
  • Select the first email in your list
  • Hold down the "Move" button
  • While you are still holding the "Move"-Button, deselect the first E-Mail
  • Put away all your fingers from the screen and wait a few seconds
  • Now Mail asks you where to move ALL of your emails
  • Select the Trash Folder as destination
  • From inside the Trash Folder, you can delete all items at once

May 4, 2016 10:28 AM in response to AULaady

Try resetting your Mail Account. First close your Mail App completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Mail pane by scrawling to the left. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. On the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

May 4, 2016 11:37 AM in response to AULaady

AULaady wrote:

TThe only service available in my area: TDS. They do not use imap, so I don't think I can delete from the browser.

IMAP or POP is irrelevant. You can sign in with a web browser if TDS supports webmail access.

If they don't use IMAP then your account is POP3 type. That means your mailbox content is on the device. Remove your mail account. Add it back on. That "should" remove all mailbox content. You will lose everything including Sent Items.

Bulk deleting over 3,000 emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.