Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop cells from memorizing text input

Numbers cells memorize my text input, and when I start typing a similar word, it gives me a little drop down menu of previously used words, which can really speed things up! However, I would also like to prevent this for certain words as it actually slows me down. Sometimes, the drop down menu also gives me the same word twice, which I then have to toggle through, which slows me down a lot!

For example, when I type "LML" in a cell, I get a drop down menu with "LML" and "LML" which I then have to toggle through or click with my cursor.

How can I prevent a cell from doing this or erase the memory of certain words?

Thanks in advance,

Shen

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 1:17 AM

Hi Shen,

You can turn this off by unchecking the 'Show suggestions when editing table cells' via Numbers > Preferences in your menu:

User uploaded file

SG

3 replies

May 6, 2016 1:19 AM in response to Shen Su

Numbers builds the 'suggestion list' for each column using what has been entered in other cells in the same column. It's not possible to "erase the memory of certain words" except by removing that word from any cells (in the same column) containing it, which is not usually a practical solution.

"Sometimes, the drop down menu also gives me the same word twice" indicates the two entries are not identical—possibly due to a trailing space (or other invisible character) in one of the cells containing it.

Turning the feature off and on as needed, using the Numbers Preferences setting pointed out in SG's post above can work well.

An alternate method is to remember that these are 'suggestions.' Depending on the situation, you can choose to select one of the suggestions (using the mouse/trackpad or the arrow keys), or simply continue typing until what's in the cell is what you want, then press return to confirm and move on to the next cell.

Example: The active cell (B7) shows what was in the one above it , and the same list of choices, as the one above it did when I pressed return, The result is seen in B6.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

May 4, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Shen Su

If you want to limit what you input to specific values (and choose from a list to prevent typos and speed up entry) then you can also format the column as Pop-Up Menu. Enter your values in cells, select them, and format. That fills the list automatically.

User uploaded file

Then when entering a value in a new cell in that column you hit the space bar and type a letter to make your choice from the list.

User uploaded file

SG

How to stop cells from memorizing text input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.