Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

struggling to set up my time capsule to be available anywhere in the world over the internet.

I have read this:http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6623/how-can-i-access-my-time-capsule-r emotely

However airport utility seems to have been updated and I can't work out how to set up.

I think I may need to set up a DNS server but not sure how to do this, can anyone help me?

Kieran

OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:59 AM

There are three basic methods to access a Time Capsule disk from a remote location over the Internet. For more details about this, please take a look at this User Tip from forum expert Tesserax:

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

For most users, Apple's Back to My Mac (BtMM) is the easiest method to set up and use.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 8:59 AM in response to kelvintemp

There are three basic methods to access a Time Capsule disk from a remote location over the Internet. For more details about this, please take a look at this User Tip from forum expert Tesserax:

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

For most users, Apple's Back to My Mac (BtMM) is the easiest method to set up and use.

May 20, 2016 5:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I am not able to connect to my Airport Time Capsule via BTMM. I have tried a number of different ways and followed Tesserax instructions in the 3 methods post, all to no avail. I am an ATT Uverse customer, and attempted to configure the router/modem to bridge mode with no results. I have since reset NVG510 to factory settings. My phone system is run through Voip system by 8x8. My hardware is as follows:

1. Arris/Motorola NVG510 - connected via Ethernet to Cisco SF200-24P Smart Switch (for VOIP

-connect via Ethernet to Airport TC

2. Airport Time Capsule - running version 7.7.3

3. Macbook

"iCloud preferences" tells me to "Set up Router for better performance" details: "Back to My Mac may be slow because NAT port mapping (NAT-PMP) or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is turned off on your router."

From what I understand Uverse is my problem, or more accurately, the NVG510 and Uverse discourage what I seek to do. My contract with Uverse is up and I am wondering if gaining remote access wouldn't be easier through another ISP, say Atlantic Broadband. Thanks in advance for any help.

May 20, 2016 2:06 PM in response to tango2007kck

BtMM will have the best chance of working reliably when you have a simple modem....and....the Time Capsule or another Apple AirPort acts as the main router for your network.

A simple modem is just that......only a modem. It has no router on board at all, so it will have only one Ethernet port, like the example pictured below:

User uploaded file

I'm not familiar with Atlantic Broadband, but they do have a list of approved modems for their service, and most models on the list are in fact simple modems like you need. I would avoid any Motorola SB series products though, since these products and Apple routers do not always get along well together.

If Atlantic has a user support forum, you might want to post a question there to ask what modem would be recommended for use with an Apple router.

Good luck!

May 28, 2016 5:33 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to try one more last ditch effort prior to making any ISP changes. I found the video linked below that would put the NVG510 in "bridge mode." I tried these steps once before but stopped short of making the suggested "Router Setup" changes to the Time Capsule at the 5:15 mark. I am concerned that if I make those suggested changes, my security will be compromised.

AT&T U-Verse Motorola NVG510 Bridge Mode Setup - YouTube

Last, if these changes to the Time Capsule would accomplish remote access, what is the range for changing the values in the LAN IP and subnet. I don't want to mirror his values and then give anyone who reads this post easier access to my network. 🙂

Again, many thanks in advance for any guidance.

struggling to set up my time capsule to be available anywhere in the world over the internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.