Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get past Apple logo for a fresh install Leopard

Hi all,

After turning the storage room upside down I found an old G5 Quad late 2005 lying free, decided to make a fresh install and assign it to the interns. There were no disks and ram on the motherboard so I got appropriate ram and a HDD. I have an installation disk which I am pretty sure that works as I have used this disk a couple of months ago.

When I start the computer with "c" key pressed, installation disk starts to work however after some 2 or 3 minutes the spinning circle under the apple logo gets frozen and the fans start to blow loudly. I have also tried the option key "alt" and selected the installation disk which appeared on the screen, same thing happens.

I have tried

*putting in different RAM modules

*using different HDD(all checked S.M.A.R.T. status shows OK)

*using different DVDROM drives(including superdrive, HP DVDROM, LG DVDROM)

*resetting NVRAM( pushing the power button and not letting it go until Open Firmware console comes, reset-nvram , reset-all commands run)

*taking out the BIOS battery and unplugging the power chord, waiting for 10 mins

*formatting the HDD on another mac, selecting the partition as Apple something something instead of GUID

I am out of ideas, I can even try voodoo if it would help. Anybody have any idea? please don't tell me that the motherboard needs to be changed.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:16 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2016 6:42 AM in response to Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have a restore disk that came with G5 (gray) also have another one that is retail. Tried with both, still hanging at the Apple logo.

I just ran ASD 2.5.8 and gave an error at the beginning even before I could browse for some tests. The error is %SRR0 and a bunch of numbers, also saying Invalid Memory Access. Tried almost 15 different ram modules, all give the same error.

I think the mainboard is busted.

Cannot get past Apple logo for a fresh install Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.