Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get my YouTube video podcast to appear in my iTunes RSS feed?

I'd like my video podcast on YouTube to appear in my iTunes feed, but how? All links in this forum to this Q seem old.

Any tips welcome, thanks!

I know it can be done -- see Ricky Gervais example attached -- but where does the video get hosted (is YouTube no good for this?)

User uploaded file

intel, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 17"

Posted on May 4, 2016 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:09 AM

You cannot use YouTube videos in iTunes. Videos must be in one of the following specific formats: .m4v, .mov or .mp4 (not Flash, Realvideo or WMV). The files in the Ricky Gervais podcast are mp4. The files can be hosted on an ordinary web server though it needs to be capable of handling 'byte range requests', something you would need to check with the people running it.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 8:09 AM in response to richle

You cannot use YouTube videos in iTunes. Videos must be in one of the following specific formats: .m4v, .mov or .mp4 (not Flash, Realvideo or WMV). The files in the Ricky Gervais podcast are mp4. The files can be hosted on an ordinary web server though it needs to be capable of handling 'byte range requests', something you would need to check with the people running it.

May 8, 2016 11:13 PM in response to shawnogordo

Thanks for this Roger Wilmut1and shawnogordo.

So can you give me the names of any 'proper servers' -- the ones with 'byte range requests'?

I wonder if Vimeo can offer that?

Or Dropbox even...

Or does it need to be something more along the lines of an Amazon Server Cloud service or something.

Any ideas?

Presumably then, whatever hit-count they're getting for the Gervais show on YouTube has no correlation to the viewers they're getting on iTunes, as they're being hosted in completely different places.

I'm hoping someone has just a few simple steps.... but perhaps video being served to ITunes is not so simple -- at least not as simple as the SoundCloud-RSS feed to iTunes that i use, which i found to be a breeze!!

R

May 8, 2016 11:41 PM in response to richle

None of the services you list is a good idea, though people have managed to get Amazon to work - though there have also been lots of problems with it and I wouldn't recommend it. Most free services aren't really suitable, though SoundCloud can work up to a point. The best solution, though it has to be paid for, is proper webspace hosting: there are a lot of firms offering this - GoDaddy is good.

May 8, 2016 11:46 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Although the advice podcast creators always give is that 'regular web hosting' sites aren't any good. Perhaps you're talking about specific packages that the likes of GoDaddy etc offer (for video streaming) are the ones to go for. Is that what you mean? I'm not after free necessarily -- i already pay for Soundcloud (pro). Are you suggesting Soundcloud can serve video (as well as audio?)

May 8, 2016 11:53 PM in response to richle

richle wrote:

Although the advice podcast creators always give is that 'regular web hosting' sites aren't any good.

I don't know why they should say this. I've never made a video podcast, but I've used Godaddy for my audio podcast without any problems at all and any competent webspace hosting service should be fine - I don't see why video should be any different. You would still have to make the feed, and services such as Libsyn give you the full service including creating the feed. I don't know about Soundcloud but by its name I suppose it doesn't handle video.

May 9, 2016 12:34 AM in response to richle

richle wrote:

http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-to-start-a-podcast-podcasting-tutorial/ and in particular his tutorial (video) on content hosting.

Clearly he's not a techie, but he is well-respected for how he explains the whole thing, and doing quite nicely out of it all. He has some cred ;-)

I've only looked briefly at his page: mostly it seems OK though I would quibble with one or two points. As regards hosting, the point he is making is that if you get popular it will consume a lot of bandwidth, so you need a service which can handle this - which is true enough. He suggests that hosting on the same server as your main website might result in that being affected by heavy bandwidth consumption of the podcast media, rather than suggesting that webspace hosting per se isn't suitable. if you subscribe to a service which can handle a large bandwidth this wouldn't be a problem; but the real issue here is that the popular free hosting services such as Google Drive or Dropbox are simply not up to handling podcast media: both have caused innumerable problems complained about here.

I don't know about Vimeo but I would have thought that like YouTube it simply provides embedded players, not a format which iTunes can read.

May 9, 2016 10:14 AM in response to richle

So can you give me the names of any 'proper servers' -- the ones with 'byte range requests'?

http://www.blubrry.com/ has all the tools you need to host your media files and publish them to iTunes, etc. e-Mail me: shawn(at)blubrry.com and I can give you a code to try the service free for a month.

I wonder if Vimeo can offer that? Or Dropbox even... Or does it need to be something more along the lines of an Amazon Server Cloud service or something.

Vimeo doesn't offer any publicly available downloading services, and you will need that in order to get into iTunes. Dropbox/Google Drive aren't designed to be used as CDN's and even if you can get them to work at first, they will eventually fail. Some people use Amazon services to deliver media. At first, it's OK because the cost is low but it doesn't usually scale with audience growth. Eventually, you'll be paying more to deliver that media than you would using a dedicated media hosting company.

Presumably then, whatever hit-count they're getting for the Gervais show on YouTube has no correlation to the viewers they're getting on iTunes, as they're being hosted in completely different places.

That's true. The stats on YouTube and the stats generated thru iTunes and other downloads would be separate. Blubrry provides stats for any traffic you receive thru the service.

How do i get my YouTube video podcast to appear in my iTunes RSS feed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.