Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com…

I understand that this issue get solved by updating the iTunes software and I have fixed that issue.

However, I have an old Mac mini with OSX 10.6 (can't upgrade) and hence iTunes 11.4 (can't upgrade). On that machine, I previously had an iPhone 5S that was syncing wirelessly and backing up to this machine. When I updated from that iPhone 5S to a 6S (restored from that backup), I now get this error message.

Clearly I can't use this Mac with this new phone (which I accept) BUT how do I stop the error message popping up all the time. I've deleted the back-up of the old 5S but this does not seem to have stopped iTunes from trying to connect to the new device with the constant error message...

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, MacMini2007 iTunes 11.4, OSX 10.6.8

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:31 AM

10 replies

May 4, 2016 5:57 AM in response to RicCM

Forgive me for being dense, but where are you seeing the message? I assume in iTunes and you are seeing it when iTunes is running and the phone and your Mac are on your home Wifi network.

Try this. On the phone go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings, the phone will reboot and all settings will have to be entered again including WiFi network passwords. No data is affected.

May 4, 2016 6:02 AM in response to Demo

I see it on the old Mac mini (with OSX 10.6 (can't upgrade) and hence iTunes 11.4 (can't upgrade)) which I use to play music in the house (and do a few other things in the background on the home network).

Both the old Mac mini and the phone are on the home wifi network.

I also have a iPad (4 with IOS 9.3.1) which also used to back up to that Mac. I am now backing up both to a different more recent Mac (for both devices). The error seems to be occurring for the new iPhone 6S is the problem.

The only difference I can think of between the two is that when I first tried to restore to the new iPhone, I connected it to the Mac Mini with the cable (which did not work) before doing a backup of the old iPhone to the recent Mac and then restoring to the new iPhone. The iPad has not been connected to the Mac Mini for quite some time.

May 4, 2016 6:33 AM in response to Demo

When you say "all settings" what do you mean? Everything for everything (Mail - multiple accounts, Calendars - multiple accounts, VPN issues, interface with corporate systems, its a long list) Don't really want to if I don't have to?

Would reset network settings be a first start?

May 4, 2016 6:35 AM in response to RicCM

Yes it can be a long list. And yes, resetting network settings would be a starting point with not nearly as much information to have to plug in again. I'm just making a suggestion based on some other threads that I have read here over the years. Since selecting WiFi sync on the device is a setting, clearing the setting might stop the connection between the device and the Mac.

The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.